Cannot connect to LAN but do have internet - SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Legion99
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot connect to LAN but do have internet - SOLVED

Post by Legion99 »

This was not a problem until 3 days ago. I have made no changes to my Modem settings or to my Mint install.
I dual boot. Windows 10 and Mint. Mint is 90% of what I do, windows just gaming.
Using Firefox I was able to connect to my modem to check / change settings as required. Also with FF I was able to access Synology NAS settings.
I am now unable to do either of those things. I also had the NAS set up with desktop icons to open a file manager page and had it set up to mount the shares at boot.
Dual booting into Windows 10 all the accesses still work for Modem and NAS. Checking with my wife's laptop also have full access.
This is a Mint thing only as, as stated above, booting the same machine / setup into Windows 10 allows me full access.

I think the NAS access issue is a red herring as the problem is why can I no longer access the modem through Firefox. I have also tried Brave and Chromium with the same -ve result. I cleared history on each browser, same -ve result.

Ping gives:
PING 192.168.178.1 (192.168.178.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.178.38 icmp_seq=1 Destination Port Unreachable
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted

Repeated ad infinitum.

I have full internet access.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Legion99
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot connect to LAN but do have internet

Post by Legion99 »

Solved -
Private Internet Access.
Or at least their Mint client.
V 82 for Linux works fine, New version 1.0.2 breaks everything as per OP. reverted back to 82 and everything is right with my world again. Stern letter sent to PIA with please explain.

Update from PIA - This is a known fault with this new version (known to them not so much everyone else :x ) Fixed within v 1.0.2 by going to settings - privacy - turn VPN killswitch to OFF. To test that I did a re-update which broke everything again. Turned off killswitch and everything was OK again.

Return to “Networking”