[Solved] Import .opvn fail but works from command line

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pedulla
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Import .opvn fail but works from command line

Post by pedulla »

Hi all,
Mint 19 Mate here.

I downloaded an OpenVPN config file (xxx.opvn) from my firewall (Sophos UTM9) and it won't import into the network connections.
Error's out with
Screenshot from 2019-02-18 21-56-14.png
However, running:

Code: Select all

openvpn ~/xxx.opvn
from the command line connects just fine.

What's up with the Mate "Import a saved VPN configurtation..." import?

Thanks
LH
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pedulla
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Import .opvn fail but works from command line

Post by pedulla »

So.. this Awesome Dev wrote this script here: https://labbots.com/open-vpn-config-fil ... erge-bash/

That takes a modern inline .ovpn config file and converts it to the older multi-file method so that the modern Mint 19 can import it... even though it runs just fine from the command line.... (yeah I'm being a little snarky)

That said, I also needed to comment out the route and verify lines from the resulting .ovpn (updated) output from this script. Then it would import in to Mint 19 and connect.

So not Solved, just a work around.

Is this a bug or feature request?
pedulla
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Import .opvn fail but works from command line

Post by pedulla »

So the problem isn't inline certs any-more. It's the

Code: Select all

route 
directive.
Commenting it out set me good to go. (# at the beginning of the line)

The error message is too nebulous. If a given directive fails to import at least that should be noted in the error message.
And, it doesn't explain why it works just fine from the command line, but it's working.

Return to “Networking”