Error: Virbr0 missing, install libvirt

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Error: Virbr0 missing, install libvirt

Post by shom_ronnie »

I am trying to use VMs on my GNS3, for which i need NAT. For the setup to work i need virbr0 to be active, but for some reason, it just wont start. I have reinstalled libvirts, still no use. I need the virbr0 to show up in ifconfig. Please help. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Error: Virbr0 missing, install libvirt

Post by catweazel »

shom_ronnie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:24 pm I am trying to use VMs on my GNS3, for which i need NAT. For the setup to work i need virbr0 to be active, but for some reason, it just wont start. I have reinstalled libvirts, still no use. I need the virbr0 to show up in ifconfig. Please help. Thanks
https://www.gns3.com/community/latest

Not to put you off, but you do stand a better chance of resolving the problem by asking there.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

I am very well aware of the support page of GNS3, but the problem isnt in GNS, its here in the OS. Mint wont let me create a virtual network, which is the problem, here the required one is virbr0, which is the default one. If i try to create any other virtual network, it gives me the same error
Error creating virtual network: internal error: Failed to initialize a valid firewall backend
Pls help.
[Lucas]

Post by [Lucas] »

I had the same problem. Installing firewalld was the solution for me. Apparently it's a dependency libvirt needs.

So:
sudo apt install firewalld
sudo systemctl start firewalld
sudo systemctl enable firewalld
sudo systemctl restart libvirtd

Then check ifconfig to confirm that virbr0 is listed.

Hope this helps.
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

Tried all that, but nothing helped, so reinstalled mint. Thankfully everything is working now, just done with all the setups. Thank you anyways
jamesG14

Post by jamesG14 »

[Lucas] wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:33 am I had the same problem. Installing firewalld was the solution for me. Apparently it's a dependency libvirt needs.

So:
sudo apt install firewalld
sudo systemctl start firewalld
sudo systemctl enable firewalld
sudo systemctl restart libvirtd

Then check ifconfig to confirm that virbr0 is listed.

Hope this helps.

This method resolved that same issue with my GNS3 . But I was wondering what's the connection of virbr0 to the firewalld ?

Return to “Networking”