Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

VPN options

Post by chiefjim » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:54 pm

Brand new to this subject. The idea of adding VPN protection appeals to me. Specially for the laptops and tablets. Wondering if it makes any difference which provider is selected in order to use one account with types of hardware?

Latest purchase is a Samsung Android tablet. I see where PIA VPN has an app available from the Google Play Store. Are these safe?

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: VPN options

Post by athi » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:33 pm

Most important with VPN services are the logging policy and where they are located. As long as they have client that you can install on your devices, you should have no problem using them on the devices.

I use Torguard for VPN and am using Torguard apps from the Playstore for my Nexus 6P. These VPN apps should be save since they are issue by the VPN service and not by Google.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

fstjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fstjohn » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:44 pm

chiefjim wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:54 pm
Brand new to this subject. The idea of adding VPN protection appeals to me. Specially for the laptops and tablets. Wondering if it makes any difference which provider is selected in order to use one account with types of hardware?

Latest purchase is a Samsung Android tablet. I see where PIA VPN has an app available from the Google Play Store. Are these safe?
Just do a little due diligence before you buy. There are lots of VPN providers out there and lots of choice. Stick with one that's highly rated, reasonably priced and has an app for your device. Main things to look out for is NO logging and lots of fast servers in the areas you want to visit. Rule of thumb, avoid free VPN's. If it's free, you're the resource, not the customer. I use Nord, but have used PIA in the past. Both are good. Here's one review site, but Google for many more: https://is.gd/bg1e7l

Crippled

Post by Crippled » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:39 pm

I use Astrill VPN since 2016 which is out of the 5 eyes, 14 eyes, and every eyes. When you chose a VPN don't just shop on price and look for which ones give the least troubles.

RamBurner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RamBurner » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:27 pm

I've been using PIA for years, I've been considering changing to NordVPN when my year is up with PIA in August. Those are the only two that I consider good.

kmassner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kmassner » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:45 pm

I've been using NordVPN for some time. The little linux app seems to play well with Mint. I had to use from a list of specific servers for the BankOfAmerica web site to work.

YMMV.

zpangwin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zpangwin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:29 pm

I have been using PIA for several years and am quite happy with the service. There were some things I didn't care for in their older client software packages (which was discontinued in favor of a rewritten client sometime in 2018 I think) but the new client is pretty solid.

For laptop/desktop, I recommend also updating your launcher shortcut for a browser so that it points to a site which will echo your location so that you can quickly test/confirm your connection. I like to use https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

The main feature I like is the VPN Kill Switch functionality as that will prevent leaks if the connection to the VPN server is interrupted (this did happen to me once many years ago before I used the setting).

Assuming you use this or some other form of VPN killswitch, you should be good. The PIA service itself not only makes the claim that there are no logs kept, but you can actually find some evidence supporting that this is the case (which is difficult to do with some other providers):

https://www.xda-developers.com/private- ... -any-data/
https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/com ... ed_in_fbi/

I have also used the Android client (from Play store) but I am less trusting of my searches on Android vs. on Linux because I have much less control over the OS on my phone and parts of it are proprietary. Still for my purposes, I think PIA + private browsing is generally sufficient.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:50 pm

zpangwin wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:29 pm

I have also used the Android client (from Play store) but I am less trusting of my searches on Android vs. on Linux because I have much less control over the OS on my phone and parts of it are proprietary. Still for my purposes, I think PIA + private browsing is generally sufficient.
What the Android O/S on your phone does is an entirely separate issue from using VPN to keep your data safer on public wifi. I turn off all tracking/cloud backup and use Firefox w/DuckDuckGo search engine on my Nexus 6P but I am sure that Android is still phoning home to Google.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi chiefjim,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

This is one of my favorite topics because I think everyone should be using a "system-wide" VPN provider's servers to connect to the Internet for anonymity and security reasons. Although there are some good free VPN providers they have limitations and requirements that paid-for VPN providers do not have. So, I recommend a paid-for VPN provider for anyone that can afford it. Most VPN providers servers can be used on all computers and smartphones, tablets, hardware routers, etc...

I have read a lot about this topic and these VPN providers are low-cost and have excellent reputations: "Private Internet Access (PIA based in USA)" fast servers and have software in the Mint Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), ProtonVPN (Swiss - a neutral country) very fast servers, "VPN.ac" (a neutral country) great Linux client. There are many other VPN providers and many Internet articles and reviews on which are the "best VPN providers". Most articles that I have read on this recommend that you use a VPN provider that is not headquartered in the country you are in and preferably in a neutral country that will not share information to governments or their legal authorities and of course, keeps no detailed records of your activity.

*** I also recommend that everyone change their local ISP (Internet Service Provider) connection's default DNS servers to those from a secure and anonymous DNS provider like "Cloudflare" regardless if you use a VPN connection or not. I prefer "DNS over TLS (DoT)" for even more security.

Read this recent post: Cloudflare DNS doesn't work (yes it does)
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=297945

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

zpangwin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zpangwin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:39 pm

athi wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:50 pm
zpangwin wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:29 pm

What the Android O/S on your phone does is an entirely separate issue from using VPN to keep your data safer on public wifi. I turn off all tracking/cloud backup and use Firefox w/DuckDuckGo search engine on my Nexus 6P but I am sure that Android is still phoning home to Google.
agreed :-)

depending on how old the Android OS version can matter greatly too... I am not a fan of paying large sums of money every year or two for new phones and tend to hang onto mobile hardware for quite awhile and buy my "new" devices secondhand to avoid a lot of the markup. As a result, I have noticed that older Android OS's (I think anything before Android v6) don't even let you set fine-grain controls on apps so in theory one app could be spying on another in some way, shape, or form. Fortunately, newer versions of Android (v7 and later) let you deny specific permissions on an app-by-app basis.

Patiently awaiting for my Librem 5 to ship :-)

Return to “Other networking topics”