Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Cruisin
Level 1
Level 1

Running 2 VPN's simultaneously

Post by Cruisin » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:11 am

Hi , I recently downloaded and installed a paid vpn service for my connection (wireless broadband), and then decided to try out a free vpn, so I downloaded one, and it seems to run ok except for the occasional drop-out. So anyway I thought that I would try running both of them at once to see what happens (I'm a daredevil at heart) They seem to work fine together, so I have both running.
I have no clue about how running 2 at once works...Does my traffic get encrypted twice? Download speeds are about the same as having no vpn on average, but I can find faster / slower connections if I change to various countries. Both vpn's have an active lock too, so if I do lose a connection they both block transmissions until connected again. So is my traffic twice as safe now or am I wasting my time?

EDIT: I only just found the "networking" section after I posted this, I should have posted my question there! :roll:
EDIT: Thanks Moem
Last edited by Cruisin on Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Running 2 VPN's simultaneously

Post by Moem » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:20 am

Cruisin wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:11 am
EDIT: I only just found the "networking" section after I posted this, I should have posted my question there! :roll:
No worries, it's moved. The Chat section is not for support requests, just for, well... chat. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Running 2 VPN's simultaneously

Post by athi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:04 am

Cruisin wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:11 am
Hi , I recently downloaded and installed a paid vpn service for my connection (wireless broadband), and then decided to try out a free vpn, so I downloaded one, and it seems to run ok except for the occasional drop-out. So anyway I thought that I would try running both of them at once to see what happens (I'm a daredevil at heart) They seem to work fine together, so I have both running.
I have no clue about how running 2 at once works...Does my traffic get encrypted twice? Download speeds are about the same as having no vpn on average, but I can find faster / slower connections if I change to various countries. Both vpn's have an active lock too, so if I do lose a connection they both block transmissions until connected again. So is my traffic twice as safe now or am I wasting my time?

EDIT: Thanks Moem
How safe you feels depends on how paranoid you are. Multiple VPN definitely increase ping due to additional routing and tends to slow down traffic due to longer path, and processing by each server.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Return to “Other networking topics”