Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
diapason
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] VPN PPTP

Post by diapason » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:12 pm

I read somewhere recently that Linux would be ending pptp support in 2019 so, before I spend a lot of time trying to find the cause of the problem below, I thought I would ask if anyone knows whether anything might have come down recently via update manager which has affected pptp.

I connect infrequently to a Windows server over a private VPN (pptp). It has worked perfectly for years. I am currently on Linux Mint 19.1.
The need to connect arose again today but the VPN would not work. Open VPN connections, however, are all working normally.

I have tried deleting the VPN connection in network connections and re-creating it. I have also completely removed network-manager-pptp, network-manager-pptp-gnome and pptp-linux and reinstalled them from the software centre. It still isn't working. I am assured that nothing at the other end has been changed.
Last edited by diapason on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: VPN PPTP

Post by Lord Boltar » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:43 pm

PPTP PassThrough should work after adding to /etc/sysctl.conf

net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_helper = 1

and then by adding the module with:

modprobe ip_nat_pptp
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

diapason
Level 1
Level 1

Re: VPN PPTP

Post by diapason » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:13 pm

Hello again.

I tried your suggestion but it made no difference although it reminded me that there used to be an issue with nf_conntrack_pptp not being loaded at boot but I'm sure that was resolved ages ago.

I decided to resort to making use of Time Shift and I found that I had to go back to the image for 01 June before the VPN started working again. So, something happened after that date which upset things. I'll have a go at trying to pinpoint what it was but I may never know.

Many thanks for your input. It was kind of you.

All the best.

Return to “Other networking topics”