Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Vic64
Level 1
Level 1

LAN Share does not connect to other PCs in Linux Mint 19.2

Post by Vic64 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:20 am

I'm quite happy with Linux Mint 19.2; It's a superbly made OS and it works like a charm since the very first day of its launch.

However, LAN Share does not connect to other PCs in our LAN (also using LAN Share, obviously).

It didn't happen to me until now with other OS like Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Ubuntu MATE.

I also have tried NItroShare and it happens the same, it does not see other PCs on the LAN.

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LAN Share does not connect to other PCs in Linux Mint 19.2

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:14 pm

19.2 Release notes. Please see.

Samba
Samba isn't very stable in Ubuntu 18.04. Two issues in particular, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1827041 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1778322 make it very hard to browse Windows networks and connect to Windows shares.

To work around this issue, edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and add the following lines under "workgroup = WORKGROUP", in the "[global]" section:

name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
client max protocol = NT1
Save the file and reboot.

You should then be able to see the workgroup and the hosts in the network neighbourhood.

To connect to a share, use "Connect to Server..." from the "File" menu.

If you are trying to connect anonymously and it isn't working, type "anonymous" in the username field and type a dummy password.

If you use Samba a lot, until these issues are resolved, we recommend you use Linux Mint 18.3 instead.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:42 pm

Vic64 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:20 am
However, LAN Share does not connect to other PCs in our LAN (also using LAN Share, obviously).
Are you talking about "LAN Share" the application? The thing that all your machines have to install and use to transfer files? As in https://github.com/abdularis/LAN-Share

Or are you taking about Samba?

SIde note: The release notes about samba are incorrect. In fact the second bug clearly states that the issue with host discovery has been fixed. And changing "client max protocol" back to NT1 will make so access to Win10 is impossible.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Vic64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic64 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:28 pm

Yes, I refer to LAN Share the application https://github.com/abdularis/LAN-Share and to NitroShare https://nitroshare.net/

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 pm

I downloaded the appimage version LanShare and have it running between Xubuntu 18.04 and Mint Cinnamon 19.2.

Everything works for me. I don't know how this thing works so I don't know how to debug it but maybe the issue is something else.

Maybe a firewall is in the way.

Can you ping the other machine: ping -c3 ip-address-of-other-machine
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Vic64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic64 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:43 am

I think the firewall is not the issue in my case because it's deactivated by default and I didn't touch it; Also I activated it and allowed, both, incoming and outcoming connections, without avail.

I didn't have any problem with firewall and LAN Share in any Ubuntu flavours.

Yes, I can ping the other machine:
~$ ping -c3 192.168.1.129
PING 192.168.1.129 (192.168.1.129) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.129: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=79.2 ms
From 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 Redirect Host(New nexthop: 192.168.1.129)
64 bytes from 192.168.1.129: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=3.25 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.129: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=6.48 ms

--- 192.168.1.129 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.257/29.653/79.213/35.069 ms

I just have downloaded and run the AppImage version of LAN Share to my laptop and still nothing: It keeps on the windows of "Select receiver" but it appears no receiver, even although I wait for quite a while neither if pushing the refresh button.

I also tried to send a file from the other PC (Kubuntu 18.04) to my laptop (Linux Mint 19.2) and it happens the same, no receivers.

Otherwise, TeamViewer works Ok in Linux Mint, just that it is somewhat cumbersome and annoying as it's not possible to start it automatically minimized to the system tray and with its pop-up windows after each connection.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi Vic64,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I would not recommend disabling, leaving turned off, the Linux software firewall (ufw and Gufw) except when testing networking and other applications, otherwise I would turn on enable the firewall and leave that on. There are firewall rules for Samba, and other applications already in the firewall application to easily install those. For certain computers to communicate with each other using various methods, you may have to add firewall rules for those computers to allow incoming access to each other using their Local IP addresses (LAN IP addresses); has to be done on each computer's firewall.

There are other file sharing applications like "Feem", "Dukto", "Nitroshare", etc... you can install and try.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

martyfender
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martyfender » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:01 am

Vic64 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:20 am
I'm quite happy with Linux Mint 19.2; It's a superbly made OS and it works like a charm since the very first day of its launch.

It didn't happen to me until now with other OS like Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Ubuntu MATE.

I also have tried NItroShare and it happens the same, it does not see other PCs on the LAN.
I was able to setup samba to connect to my Android tablets to my linux mint 19.2 using this guide to edit the smb.conf file to add users and passwords and also add the folders that I want to share. In my case though, I used gedit to edit the file. In addition, I had to add a firewall rule for samba. The command in this first guide to restart samba did not work in 19.2, but the command in the second guide linked did.

https://www.computerbeginnersguides.com ... mint-18-2/

https://tenbulls.co.uk/2017/04/18/samba_on_mint/

Vic64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic64 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Thanks for your kind answers.

As an average user, I'm not very prone to use Samba. As per my own experience, It has to be configured thoroughly and sometimes it stops working.

I tried LAN Share and NitroShare, but surprisingly it didn't work. Then, I just tried Transfer On Lan and it works.

martyfender
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martyfender » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:11 am

Vic64 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:35 pm
Thanks for your kind answers.

As an average user, I'm not very prone to use Samba. As per my own experience, It has to be configured thoroughly and sometimes it stops working.

I tried LAN Share and NitroShare, but surprisingly it didn't work. Then, I just tried Transfer On Lan and it works.
Although I have been using Mint Mate 19.2 for a short time, by using the above linked guides I have had no problems using samba to access my linux Mint desktop from my 5 Android tablets. It was actually pretty easy to setup by editing the smb.conf file. I haven't tried accessing Windows shares yet from my tablets, as I rarely ever boot to Windows anymore,but I may try just to test it. In the past year on Mint 18.2 I did it without much trouble, though. Sendanywhere also worked very well on 18.3 from Android and my Iphone to tranfer files. I have not tried it on 19.2,yet.

Vic64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic64 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:34 am

I think Kubuntu 18.04 (in my PC) is not so easy as Linux Mint 19.2 (Cinnamon edition here) for configuring Samba (neither it's the most complicated thing I ever did).

Thanks, I will keep it in mind as it's handier to access other computers folders and files directly from the file manager than by using a separate app.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:52 am

Actually - and believe me I fully understand the irony in what I'm about to say - the way Ubuntu and Samba have evolved since 17.10 Samba pretty much works seamlessly with other Linux systems. It's Windows it has a problem with.

I just booted into the install disk of Kubuntu18.04 to see how things are going with KDE since I left it.

I installed samba ( sudo apt install samba )

Opened Dolphin > Right clicked my Public folder > Selected Properties > Share tab > Allow Guests and Full Control

Dolphins implementation of usershare still isn't quite right so after creating the share I had to alter Linux permissions of the folder: chmod 777 $HOME/Public

From Mint 19.2 Cinnamon the Kubuntu machine automatically shows up under Network ( you don't have to go to Windows Network since Windows has nothing to do with this process ) and I can access and write to the share:
KDE-from-Cinn.png
KDE-from-Cinn.png (19.73 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Note the way it renders: hostname.local/public. Samba automatically announces itself to the rest of the network using avahi ( the .local part ). All other Linux systems and any MacOS machines you may have in the network will automatically detect the samba server on that Kubuntu machine.

Now I will admit that from a client end KDE still has the very same decades old bug that makes detecting samba hosts using either the old Windows way or the new Avahi way a problem. But you can access a servers share explicitly in dolphin using the same hostname.local method:
KDE-Cinn-from-KDE.png
EDIT: I should note that if you use guest shares you may want to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf - and this should be the only time you need to edit that file - and force the guest user to appear as you. Right under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line add this one - using your real user name: force user = your-linux-user-name

Then restart smbd: sudo service smbd restart

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:58 am

Hi Vic64, and everyone else,

A.) Samba seems to work well on my Linux Mint 19.x and my KDE Neon through my file managers although I do not have any MS Windows computers to test that with. I also installed "winbind" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" which may help.

I can even access my hardware WiFi router's (which support Samba) USB attached devices using my file manager using "smb://192.168.xxx.1/" the local IP address of the router; this should also work for other computers connected to your network with Samba running using their local IP addresses; you will probably have to setup (add firewall rules for Samba in all the computers which is easy to do. In order to be able to copy to or delete folders and or files from the router's USB devices or other computers and devices using this file manager method, I had to use my file manager as root superuser, but I could read, copy, and play multimedia files using my file managers normally. I could also have used "SSH" or sFTP to access the router's filesystem and or any USB attached storage.

Member "altair4" has a few really great posts in this forum on installing and configuring Samba.

B.) For anyone that wants to connect their Android smartphones or tablets to their Linux computers, I very highly recommend installing "KDE Connect" (Already installed in all KDE desktop operating systems) and for Linux Mint desktops like Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce there is "GSconnect" that supposedly does not require the KDE dependencies although I still recommend installing the "kde-runtime" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". Then restart your computer and install the "KDE Connect" or "GSconnect" application from your smartphone or tablet app store, click the "KDE Connect" application and "pair" it with your Linux computers, then configure "KDE Connect" to give permissions to access the folders on your Android device that you want to share or have access to, to allow the folders on the smartphone's internal and or microSD card to be accessed from your Linux computers and the smartphones and or tablets and visa-versa, otherwise you will get the famous message "cannot mount device". I would also recommend searching the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for "mtp" packages and installing those for USB connectivity.

How to Connect Your Android Phone to Ubuntu Wirelessly - OMG! Ubuntu!
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/11/con ... -gsconnect

How To Use GSConnect For Android Integration in GNOME - LinuxConfig.org
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-use-gsco ... n-in-gnome

How to install and setup KDE Connect in Linux - Real Linux User
https://www.reallinuxuser.com/how-to-in ... -in-linux/

Tip1: If you use a VPN server network connection, disconnect from the VPN server temporarily when first setting up KDE Connect until you have "paired" your Linux computer(s) and the smartphones and or tablets, then KDE connect will work well even when connected to a VPN.

Tip2: For larger gigabyte file transfers using the USB connection (MTP) is much faster at least on my system than using KDE Connect or GSconnect wirelessly (which does not require any cables), and you still have to tell your Android smartphones or tablets in their USB settings to "pair" with your Linux computers or at least I did, then it worked perfectly and fast from then on; might have to give permission to folders in the smartphones USB options as well. This also has the added benefit of charging most smartphones.

C.) And, there are a few other application options for sharing files with your Android smartphones and tablets like AirDroid, etc... But, KDE Connect or GSconnect are superb applications and it remembers any "paired" devices, so it is always available.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Vic64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic64 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:26 pm

Thanks for your answers.

I installed samba in both ends. Then, I gave permits chmod 777 $HOME/'shared folder' and it works.

I have shared 2 folders this far without problems.

However, it does not work if I try to share via Samba /home/user_name or the Windows partition from my Kubuntu machine.
Perhaps it's a security feature, although I remember other times (years ago) I got sharing it.

But, what I got working via Samba it's Ok for me.

Also, likely I will give it a try to KDEConnect and its Gnome version.

martyfender
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martyfender » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:25 pm

I made it easier on my self since my last post. Try system-config-samba, it works well now if you jump through a few hoops, initally. Read the comments for it in the software manager area. Once you enter the initial commands properly, it will launch with no problems on subsequent reboots.

Return to “Other networking topics”