Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Setting up NordVPN (Solved)

Post by chiefjim » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:31 pm

Took the plunge and have activated a NordVPN account. Would now like to setup properly so I can activate or deactivate when desired. Can someone please recommend a website or video tutorial that might help me make sense of this?

Using Mint Mate 19.2. The connections icon in the panel does absolutely nothing when I try to "add a VPN connection"

Also does anyone know of a pdf that lists servers in the USA? Hopefully that will enable me to find a server that doesn't reduce my speeds by 80% !

Thanks
Last edited by chiefjim on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Setting up NordVPN

Post by athi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:45 pm

chiefjim wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:31 pm
Took the plunge and have activated a NordVPN account. Would now like to setup properly so I can activate or deactivate when desired. Can someone please recommend a website or video tutorial that might help me make sense of this?

Using Mint Mate 19.2. The connections icon in the panel does absolutely nothing when I try to "add a VPN connection"

Also does anyone know of a pdf that lists servers in the USA? Hopefully that will enable me to find a server that doesn't reduce my speeds by 80% !

Thanks
Link to NordVPN servers https://nordvpn.com/servers/

Link to NordVPN Linux client download: https://nordvpn.com/download/

For android and iPhone, you can download NordVPN apps from the Playstore or App Store

Link to discussion on how to setup NordVPN with download link to ovpn configuration files: https://www.reddit.com/r/nordvpn/commen ... do_i_need/

Using the client/apps is pretty simple, start the client/apps, select server and input user/password info.

Using the ovpn file is a bit more work but to me faster with more control and no need to install 3rd party program. With Mate, right click on Network Manager at lower right corner, select edit connection, click + icon at lower left corner, select Import a saved VPN configuration from pull down menu and click Create at lower right corner, browse to location that you unzip the ovpn configuration files, select server, input user name and password and click Save to create a VPN connection. You can then create new Ethernet or wifi connection and link the VPN connection to it and give the connection a name. When you select that connection, it will automatically connect and login to the server it is linked to. If VPN connection is dropped, this will also terminate traffic, same as a kill switch. I have a bunch of these VPN linked connections and 1 unlinked connection for when I want to go online without VPN.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:54 pm

"With Mate, right click on Network Manager at lower right corner, select edit connection, click + icon at lower left corner, "

Except as noted: "The connections icon in the panel does absolutely nothing when I try to "add a VPN connection"

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:13 pm

When you add a VPN connection, you will have to supply all the servers information. I don't even know how to obtain this information.

The discussion on reddit have a link to download a zip archive of preconfigured ovpn files with server information that you can import into network manager. All you have to do then is provide the account informations (user name and password). This is how I setup my connection to Torguard VPN with the network manager.

Edit: You need to select Edit Connections to bring up the add connection window.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:23 pm

Here is a link to NordVPN tutorial, connection via network manager is about halfway down and based on Cinnamon? but is similar to Mate:
https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/linux/openvpn/

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:23 am

athi wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:23 pm
Here is a link to NordVPN tutorial, connection via network manager is about halfway down and based on Cinnamon? but is similar to Mate:
https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/linux/openvpn/
Thanks. Being hard headed I was making assumptions, wrong assumptions. Rereading and going slower step by step made the difference.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Setting up NordVPN (Solved)

Post by athi » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:31 am

Good to hear that you got things working.

If issue is resolved, please edit first post and add [Solved] to subject line.

Zeno7
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Setting up NordVPN (Solved)

Post by Zeno7 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:51 pm

Just wanted to thank you guys because this topic also helped me configuring NordVPN !!

Return to “Other networking topics”