Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
robert_m
Level 1
Level 1

remove Search Incognito redirect

Post by robert_m » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:08 pm

Linux users rarely get viruses, and I convinced my sister (who lives in another state) to install Mint 19.1 Cinnamon.

Her problem was that her Windows machine had become unusable because her browser window had been replaced with "Browse Incognito" as described here:
How to remove Search Incognito redirect (Virus Removal Guide)
https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-search-incognito/

"Browse Incognito " is a clever name, it is difficult to google as it is a legitimate browser setting, In fact, when my sister complained, I thought she was using the browsers incognito setting, and could not understand what the problem was.

She installed Mint - now it's back

The one strange thing that happened a day or two ago was that she saw alarming messages that she was under attack, and turned her computer off. It was the same after a re-boot.

My sister hardly knows how her computer works, but decided to do something very clever: she invited her nieghbor to log into her router - They had the same problem!

It is an AT&T router, and she was never told to change the name or password.
Router flaws put AT&T customers at hacking risk https://www.zdnet.com/article/flaws-in- ... s-at-risk/

She is not able to factory reset the router and set it up again - I wouldn't try it without a working internet connection!
I don't understand this "Browse Incognito " virus, is it possible that it is entirely in the router?

I hope someone can tell me more about this problem: does it make sense that the two things are connected? Will ATT help her?

Regards,

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Re: remove Search Incognito redirect

Post by majpooper » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:41 pm

robert_m wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:08 pm

She installed Mint - now it's back

It is an AT&T router, and she was never told to change the name or password.
Router flaws put AT&T customers at hacking risk https://www.zdnet.com/article/flaws-in- ... s-at-risk/
. . . .
She is not able to factory reset the router and set it up again - I wouldn't try it without a working internet connection!
I don't understand this "Browse Incognito " virus, is it possible that it is entirely in the router?

I hope someone can tell me more about this problem: does it make sense that the two things are connected? Will ATT help her?

Regards,
To make sure it is clear - you are describing two sets of symptoms i.e. two different infections . . . . correct?

1.) She had the browser malware infection on Windows, which looks to be a Windows program that gets installed when downloading free software - the solution is to remove the program. She should not have to worry about that any longer with the fresh install of Mint. I know it goes without saying . . . so I will say it anyway - impress upon your sister not to install any software outside of the Linux Mint Software Manager. Yes, I do not always practice what I preach but I either trust the source and/or I am prepared to accept the risk, the key being I understand the risk.

2.) Her router is infected and the symptoms were the warnings she was under attack (and probably to go to a certain website or call a number to get it fixed) but this was different from the Browse Incognito issue - is that correct?

If she is capable of doing a fresh install of Mint she is capable of doing a factory re-set of her router and resetting the router password, wifi password etc. AT&T has a HOW TO do factory re-sets on their router at their web site - just have your sister Google it and do it.

robert_m
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robert_m » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:36 pm

M.P

Thanks for your response. I also see it as two separate problems, but the fact that they both arrived on the same day (after Months of use) does raise some doubt about that.
If she is capable of doing a fresh install of Mint she is capable of doing a factory re-set of her router and resetting the router password, wifi password etc. AT&T has a HOW TO do factory re-sets on their router at their web site - just have your sister Google it and do it.
I'm not so sure...
1) she is having problems with her browser - the "Search Incognito" problem redirects her, she can not get to www.google.com
2) Mint is very easy to install, the only thing she had to do was get her wi-fi working. I think that setting up a router is substantially more complex, I could do it, but I also would be sure I had a backup plan: a second working router, or help from my ISP. In fact, I am locked out of my router at the moment, I decided to try the HTTPS setting for managagement... yup the router is more secure, even I can't get in :P

Good advice about installing software - Thanks!

-Rob

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:51 pm

robert_m wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:36 pm

I'm not so sure...
1) she is having problems with her browser - the "Search Incognito" problem redirects her, she can not get to www.google.com
2) Mint is very easy to install, the only thing she had to do was get her wi-fi working. I think that setting up a router is substantially more complex, I could do it, but I also would be sure I had a backup plan: a second working router, or help from my ISP. In fact, I am locked out of my router at the moment, I decided to try the HTTPS setting for managagement... yup the router is more secure, even I can't get in :P

Good advice about installing software - Thanks!

-Rob
Wait a second . . . she is having the "Search Incognito" issue on her browser on Mint?

OK my first look at this indicated it was a Windows program and the instructions to it remove it were to remove the program from Windows. Now that I have dug further I find there are two very similar infection:

1.) Searchincognito.com virus - this is the one that is a Windows program (the link you provided showed how to remove it from Windows)

2.)Searchi Incognito Browser Hijacker - this sounds like the your sister has. It looks to be a Chrome extension and the way to remove it is to remove the extension.
https://www.2-viruses.com/remove-search ... r-hijacker

robert_m
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robert_m » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:47 pm

MP -

I will check if she is using Chrome, the default with the Cinnamon desktop is firefox, I think.

As for the router, she was already planning to leave AT&T, so she is going to go to MIDCO.

-Rob

Return to “Other networking topics”