Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
DDE12
Level 1
Level 1

smb.conf is being edited by root with VIM

Post by DDE12 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:28 pm

I am trying to setup Samba sharing and I did something that is giving me the message "File .../smb.conf is being edited (by VIM 8.0, PID 25521)" How do I correct this? Thank you.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: smb.conf is being edited by root with VIM

Post by altair4 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:26 am

Stop using vi?

Really, I have no idea why you are getting that error message - if it is an error message. What are you doing when you get that error message?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:32 pm

DDE12 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:28 pm
I am trying to setup Samba sharing and I did something that is giving me the message "File .../smb.conf is being edited (by VIM 8.0, PID 25521)" How do I correct this? Thank you.
Check for a ".swp" file, which you get when you edit something with vim (vi) - if you don't exit vi properly, the file stays there:

Code: Select all

ls -a ../.smb.conf.swp
But also make sure you don't have another editor running:

Code: Select all

ps aux | grep vi
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

DDE12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DDE12 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Like Flemur pointed out, I was trying to edit smb.conf with VIM and when it opened I could not do anything with it and could not figure out how to close, so I exited the terminal. I was able to edit with Nano and wasn't until later that I started to get the message that it was being edited by VIM.

I did have a swp file. I changed to direcory /etc/samba and used sudo rm -r .smb.conf.swp to remove it. I no longer get the message that smb.conf is being edited.

ps aux | grep vi
Returned a bunch of files with "vi" in either the folder name or file name (eg teamVIewer) I do not see any VI or VIM. What would I see specifically if an editor was running? Thank you for helping me with this.

Return to “Other networking topics”