Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
DDE12
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Thunar Shares Plugin

Post by DDE12 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:21 pm

I tried to install the Thunar Shares Plugin following https://goodies.xfce.org/projects/thuna ... res-plugin but there are files that do not exist. Is it possible to add a share tab to Thunar in Mint xfce 19? Is there a file manager for xfce that does have a GUI for Sharing similar to Windows? Thank you.
Last edited by DDE12 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Thunar Shares Plugin

Post by altair4 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:31 am

Thunar shares is no more sadly.

I don't know if they still do this but I think Linux Lite resurrected a version of it for their distro.

Otherwise you can do something like this if you are interested: Create Samba Shares Directly from Thunar:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

DDE12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DDE12 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:20 pm

Thank you for coming right out and saying the Thunar Shares Plugin is no more, that will help save time for other Noobs like myself. :) I followed your tutorial and the confirmation showed it was working. I changed the emblem if the folder I gave Public Writeable access to show it is shared. I'm guessing that this won't be a system wide change that will affect any shortcuts pointing to this shared folder. I assume that the Public Readable and Writeable gives access to users with the Samba password that I set up, What does Private Readable and Writeable do? Thank you for your help and for the straightforward tutorial.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:11 pm

I assume that the Public Readable and Writeable gives access to users with the Samba password that I set up, What does Private Readable and Writeable do?
It's backwards. The Public share is accessible to anyone - as long as the path to the folder permits it. The Private share requires samba credentials to be passed.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

DDE12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DDE12 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:44 am

Gotcha, I will change it to private but currently I cannot access my Mint share on Windows. Entering \\192.168.1.4\Media into add network location in Windows results in ... appears to be invalid... message. What do I do to troubleshoot this?

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:50 am

Why not post the output of the following commands so we can see how things are set up:

Code: Select all

testparm -s

Code: Select all

net usershare info --long
It may not be a samba problem but a path / permissions problem.

DDE12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DDE12 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:19 pm

I forgot about the firewall. I turned it off and I can access the shared folder from all windows machines and Firesticks (through VLC). What port do I need to open so that I can turn the firewall back on? I did change the shared folder to Private Writeable through Thunar. Why does "guest okay = yes" for testparm -s but "guest_okay=n" for net usershare info --long?

user@LMHT:~$ testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[Media]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
dns proxy = No
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
map to guest = Bad User
max log size = 1000
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
server role = standalone server
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
syslog = 0
unix password sync = Yes
usershare allow guests = Yes
idmap config * : backend = tdb

[printers]
browseable = No
comment = All Printers
create mask = 0700
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = Yes

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[Media]
guest ok = Yes
path = /home/user/Media
read only = No
valid users = user

user@LMHT:~$ net usershare info --long
[Media]
path=/home/user/Media
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
guest_ok=n

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:00 pm

What port do I need to open so that I can turn the firewall back on?
Samba sets up a firewall rule automatically for this purpose at /etc/ufw/applications.d/samba. So:

** Enable your firewall again.

** Then run: sudo ufw allow Samba

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:08 pm

Why does "guest okay = yes" for testparm -s but "guest_okay=n" for net usershare info --long?
There are 2 ways to create a samba share. The classic samba method that has you add share definitions to smb.conf and the usershare method ( through thunar in this case ).

They are both legitimate samba shares and you could use both methods at the same time but it's not a good idea to use both methods at the same time on the same shared resource. In your case it's anyone's guess which one samba will obey.

In this particular case the guest ok = yes is being overridden by the valid users = user line so the guest line is irrelevant.
[Media]
guest ok = Yes
path = /home/user/Media
read only = No
valid users = user
In your usershare definition all users with proper credentials will gain access to the share.

DDE12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DDE12 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:16 pm

I turned the firewall back on and applied the firewall rule to success. Since I will be using Thunar to setup shared folders, should I delete the [Media] section from smb.conf?

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:42 am

I would delete one of them. If you use thunar to create your shares then removing the one in smb.conf will lessen confusion and interference between the two.

DDE12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DDE12 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:45 pm

I removed the one from smb.conf. I really appreciate your help.

Return to “Other networking topics”