Frequent ping to captive.g.aaplimg.com

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Darunada

Frequent ping to captive.g.aaplimg.com

Post by Darunada »

Hi there,

I noticed my desktop PC running Mint 19.1 is making a ping to captive.g.aaplimg.com approximately every 30 seconds. After a bit of sleuthing, I learned this was Apple's captive portal detection service running in Germany.

I blocked the DNS query at my pi hole, and the system switched to using the less alarming but still moderately alarming captive.apple.com. I captured the request in wireshark:

```
captive.g.aaplimg.com
GET /hotspot-detect.html HTTP/1.1
user-agent: CaptiveNetworkSupport/1.0 wispr
accept-encoding: gzip,deflate
Host: captive.apple.com
Connection: close

```

I do not, nor have I ever, owned an apple device or product, and I do not want my ethernet wired linux device pinging apple for captive portals every half minute (that's an order of magnitue higher than my next frequent DNS query).

Could you please help me diagnose which application is making the request, or explain to me why it would be doing this? If you could help me figure out how to trace the request back from wireshark that would be excellent because there are a few other DNS queries that I would like to investigate their origin.

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”