Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
akidd
Level 1
Level 1

Remote desktop with 19.3

Post by akidd »

I've tried vino with dConf settings. I've tried more than one VNC server (x11vnc got the closest - a desktop that only has the upper left quarter of the screen visible - vino is slow and eventually crashes no matter what I enable/disable) and x11rdp. I have a raspberry pi and x11rdp works flawlessly from a windows RDP or Remmina or TightVNC client. I'd prefer to use RDP so I don't have to have multiple rdp/vnc viewers on my machines.

This is after a fresh install of 19.3 x64 cinnamon- the only thing I did was install the various servers/clients listed above - using those available in the default repositories (and backed out each when they didn't work). I followed many different tutorials and walkthroughs posted here and ubuntu forums (albeit none for 19.x as I've found nothing other than posts recommending things like Teamviewer or other solutions that require a proprietary intermediary which I won't use)

I finally got x11rdp to work. Connection worked from all clients I tested from 3 machines and all is well - works when tested locally and remotely. I used:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt install xrdp xorgxrdp 
sudo apt install -y freerdp-x11

echo env -u SESSION_MANAGER -u DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS cinnamon-session>~/.xsession

sudo reboot
So I rebooted and when my machine restarted the login screen appears. The input cursor blinks a couple times and then hard freezes. I can't input anything. Mouse/keyboard don't work. No matter how fast I type I can't input a single character. The clock does continue to work. However I can connect remotely via RDP...

I am greeted with an Authentication request for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.network-control
Remote Desktop Connection.png
Authenticating changes nothing. I get a warning that hardware graphics acceleration is disabled and the system my appear slow.

I tried backing out the .session changes and restarting... no joy. Uninstalled xrdp, xorgxrdp and freedp-x11 (again, all available from default repositories). Same thing happens. I can't login. I ran timeshift from livecd and restored from before I started editing and I can log in again and the settings I changed are verified reverted

Any ideas? I'd really like to use a remote desktop and since it appears I had all the remote functionality working it must be possible.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Remote desktop with 19.3

Post by AZgl1500 »

Have you tried Teamviewer, and AnyDesk?

both have a lot of ardent followers.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

chazz_tsc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chazz_tsc »

OP did say he had rejected "things like Teamviewer or other solutions that require a proprietary intermediary which I won't use", and I have to agree - TeamViewer in particular has started deciding that anyone who uses their product has to prove themselves noncommercial or pay $60/month, and I'm now in process of removing it from all the systems I control.

I'm currently looking at TightVNC, not least because it seems to work as a remote solution for Windows as well. I am having some difficulty with it on 19.3 MATE, but at least one install is working flawlessly with the startup file .vnc/xstartup:

#!/bin/sh
unset SESSION_MANAGER
unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
startxfce4 &
after getting a copy of xfce4 and xfce4-goodies.

ciniset
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ciniset »

just as a comment for your TeamViewer concern regarding licensing, you might also try https://www.msp360.com/remote-assistant.aspx

akidd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by akidd »

I'd really like to get xrdp working. Mint currently lacks an integrated remote desktop solution. I'd like to suggest it would be a good option for any user now that vino is gone. If I can get this working I intend on writing a mini tutorial/FAQ for others and campaign to have it added to the distro.

In my early testing it is:
  • faster than vnc
  • completely open source -Apache 2.0
  • NOT a proprietary, commercial intermediary that sends data elsewhere (Teamviewer, NoMachine, Anydesk)
  • cross-platform (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, FreeBSD) - SPARC, PowerPC
  • many different 3rd party viewers on every platform
  • TLS security layer
  • is in active development has had source code commits within the past 3 days - new release 8 days ago (x11vnc hasn't been touched since 2009 it appears) - Vino has moved on and what can be made to work on Mint has no settings UI and is unstable.
  • rdp used by millions if by no other virtue than its requirement and inclusion and use in MS environments
  • TRUE session resizing
  • sound forwarding
Doesn't this seem like a good option to provide a true remote desktop for Mint? Other than it creates a problem where I can't login locally <gulp>, when it is working it is a great experience. On my Raspberry pi it is excellent and hasn't had any significant issues and hasn't gone down once in many months. A simple configuration and perhaps notification applet and bingo!
Last edited by akidd on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

ciniset wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:45 am
just as a comment for your TeamViewer concern regarding licensing, you might also try https://www.msp360.com/remote-assistant.aspx
does not work with Linux
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

ciniset
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ciniset »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:39 am
ciniset wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:45 am
does not work with Linux
correct, my bad, but it will.

meyster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meyster »

I'm new to Mint and struggling with getting xRDP to fully work with 19.3 Cinammon. Here is what I have so far...

As root, do the following (sudo su):

apt-get update
apt-get install -y xorg-video-abi-23 xserver-xorg-core
apt install -y xrdp xorgxrdp
apt install -y freerdp-x11

# Fix : http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=12043
touch /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/45-allow-colord.pkla
echo "[Allow Colord all Users]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-device;org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-profile;org.freedesktop.color-manager.delete-device;org.freedesktop.color-manager.delete-profile;org.freedesktop.color-manager.modify-device;org.freedesktop.color-manager.modify-profile
ResultAny=no
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes" > /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/45-allow-colord.pkla
echo; echo; echo; cat /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/45-allow-colord.pkla
rm /var/crash/*

# Extra Fix for "Auth Required:, may not be necessary... : http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=12073
# Create /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/02-allow-colord.conf
#touch /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/02-allow-colord.conf
#echo "polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
 if ((action.id == "org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-device" ||
 action.id == "org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-profile" ||
 action.id == "org.freedesktop.color-manager.delete-device" ||
 action.id == "org.freedesktop.color-manager.delete-profile" ||
 action.id == "org.freedesktop.color-manager.modify-device" ||
 action.id == "org.freedesktop.color-manager.modify-profile") &&
 subject.isInGroup("{users}")) {
 return polkit.Result.YES;
 }
 });" > /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/02-allow-colord.conf
echo; echo; echo; cat /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/02-allow-colord.conf
#rm /var/crash/*

# Fix for the next command :http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=11868
sed -i 's/allowed_users=console/allowed_users=anybody/' /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

# This is the risky command that locked out my local console access
# Be sure to backup ~/.xsession first!!!!!! "env -u" removes the 2 variables!
cp ~/.xsession ~/.xsession.backup
echo env -u SESSION_MANAGER -u DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS cinnamon-session > ~/.xsession

# This is supposed to fix the local console lockout, but it didn't work for me: http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=11868
sed -i 's/allowed_users=console/allowed_users=anybody/' /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

Please.... can anybody can help me fix my locked out console? My RDP works great, however. :roll:

Thanks

annynomous
Level 1
Level 1

Post by annynomous »

akidd wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:44 pm
So I rebooted and when my machine restarted the login screen appears. The input cursor blinks a couple times and then hard freezes. I can't input anything. Mouse/keyboard don't work. No matter how fast I type I can't input a single character. The clock does continue to work. However I can connect remotely via RDP...
I've installed 19.3 Tricia on a fresh KVM VPS, and while I can get a VNC session to a running instance by way of the KVM shell, the only way the desktop will boot to be available for a session is if it is booted in recovery mode. When I read your post, this experience made me wonder if you can get both the RDP session and a working desktop if you boot into recovery with the settings you had RDP alone working on. Another thing I wondered, the

echo
statement appears to set environment variables. Why not

export
?

On my end, the Cinnamon Mint server behaves strangely. How is your instance installed. For instance, the strange behaviour I'm getting (no bash history despite both .bashrc and /etc/bash.bashrc having history -a prompts, and no ability to prevent openssh-server from requiring a password (after many configuration scenarios tried), may be attributable to running under KVM as a VPS. What's the case with your installation method?

10DOTMe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 10DOTMe »

akidd wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:36 am
I'd really like to get xrdp working. Mint currently lacks an integrated remote desktop solution. I'd like to suggest it would be a good option for any user now that vino is gone. If I can get this working I intend on writing a mini tutorial/FAQ for others and campaign to have it added to the distro.

In my early testing it is:
  • faster than vnc
  • completely open source -Apache 2.0
  • NOT a proprietary, commercial intermediary that sends data elsewhere (Teamviewer, NoMachine, Anydesk)
  • cross-platform (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, FreeBSD) - SPARC, PowerPC
  • many different 3rd party viewers on every platform
  • TLS security layer
  • is in active development has had source code commits within the past 3 days - new release 8 days ago (x11vnc hasn't been touched since 2009 it appears) - Vino has moved on and what can be made to work on Mint has no settings UI and is unstable.
  • rdp used by millions if by no other virtue than its requirement and inclusion and use in MS environments
  • TRUE session resizing
  • sound forwarding
Doesn't this seem like a good option to provide a true remote desktop for Mint? Other than it creates a problem where I can't login locally <gulp>, when it is working it is a great experience. On my Raspberry pi it is excellent and hasn't had any significant issues and hasn't gone down once in many months. A simple configuration and perhaps notification applet and bingo!
newbie Bumping this to see if you've gotten further?

I did the

sudo apt install xrdp
but...
got this when trying to connect from Windows10 Pro to Cinnamon 19.3 box.
megahertz!

Kudalufi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kudalufi »

Getting the old Mint 18 (Ubuntu Xenial) version of Vino is what I ended up doing. You get Vino with a nice configuration panel, and it is quite stable for me. The old "desktop sharing" control panel is in Mints preferences and about the only configuration option it doesn't expose that you might need to change is encryption. If you have to turn off encryption, then you do still need to use dconf or (better) dconf-editor. Myself I just use either vinagre from other Mint machines or TurboVNC's Java viewer to connect from Windows. Both support Vino's TLC encryption.

Jackalus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jackalus »

Also joining as I am currently trying to sort this out. I'm in above my head but want to support remote elders after installing Linux Mint on their machine (which I'll be remote from - this is a great time to do this). I finally got them off Windows and am trying to hide them from the scarier aspects of Linux.

If instructions didn't assume much knowledge, that would be greatly appreciated

J

chazz_tsc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chazz_tsc »

@Jackalus - There are three parts to this, of course. The first is to be able to find their machine out on the Internet; the second is to be able to connect to it safely, without allowing anyone else to do that; and the third is to control it. I have no experience with the first, all my clients use static IP, but you might want to sign up with one of the DDNS services supported by their router. You'll also need to set their router to keep the machine you want to control at a static internal IP. This part, of course, is the same for both Windows and Linux, so presumably you've already handled that.

For the second you'd need some form of virtual private network (VPN). I've had decent luck with OpenVPN, installing as a server on your elders' machine, and client on yours. You would need to modify the router again, to pass incoming UDP and TCP/IP packets on port 1194 to the machine you want to control. Again, this is something you'd have had to do on Windows, so presumably you have this, or something similar, already set up.

In my case, as I mentioned, I installed TightVNC. On Linux, TightVNC creates a second desktop, invisible to the user, so it's kind of useless for pointing things out to another user; but it is very good for literal behind the scenes maintenance. If that's what you're looking for, let me know and I'll go into more detail on what I managed in the cases that worked.

10DOTMe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 10DOTMe »

Somehow I stumbled into getting nomachine to work. I think when I initially set up I was not running on both the windows 10 laptop as well as starting the service on the mint box. Working now. Now I just need a way to hide that noisy-assed AMD box in the room where its wired into the router.
megahertz!

Fadi Mousa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fadi Mousa »

hi
you should install the following
xrdp
xorgxrdp-hwe-18.04
do not install xorgxrdp
and it well work fine for mint 19.3

RobertGM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RobertGM »

I have tried doing as Fadi Mousa recommends.
Xrdp was already installed. So was xorgxrdp, which I uninstalled.
However, when I try to install xorgxrdp-hwe-18.04 I am told it's not available.
And in Synaptic I am told the package is broken. Not sure how to fix it.

10DOTMe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 10DOTMe »

Yeah. I'm gonna go with (at least for me) !M sucks. I get the same spazzy, choppy environment remoting into other Win10 laptops from a Win10 laptop as I do to the Mint box. Back to the drawing board.
megahertz!

xxfailurexx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xxfailurexx »

Hello,

New to Linux Mint 19.3 user here, working through the same as the OP. Thanks to everyone's help in the thread. :)

I would like to contribute my experience with adding RDP "server" support to Linux Mint, in that I have had essentially the same exact experience as the OP. I also share the OPs sentiment about desiring xrdp capabilities in Linux Mint, and I will share any findings I discover while I attempt to achieve the same.

In the meantime I am using NoMachine, which is reliable, but I am not pleased with the multiple monitor and resolution support.

I have tried the steps in this thread, and the following somewhat older thread on the same topic, with no success: viewtopic.php?t=272329

Upon reboot, I reach the desktop session login screen, but my mouse, keyboard, and touchscreen were completely unresponsive on my Dell Inspiron 13-7352 SE; however, I was not able to successfully RDP to the laptop. :(

If I weren't so eager to restore from the previous night's backup using Timeshift, I would have tried plugging a separate mouse and keyboard into the laptop to troubleshoot the laptop device issues further.

This is a great point to mention the following:
  • Have a live USB/CD available with the same version of Linux Mint you are using, at all times
  • Or, use a VM with snapshots
  • And, practice using Timeshift, especially the restore operation
  • And, keep notes about how to restore/recreate LUKS keys :!: (since I don't back those up using Timeshift :wink: )
I was so relieved when I was able to perform steps 1-3 successfully--Timeshift is truly a life saver.

Good luck all!

rarsa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rarsa »

The best solution I have found is to use the NoMachine NX. http://NoMachine.com

While it's proprietary, it's protocols are not so there are FOSS implementations, for example

http://opennx.net/
https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:newtox2go

It is super easy to set up, full featured and really fast compared to any other solution I've used.

10DOTMe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 10DOTMe »

[code]
[/code]
10DOTMe wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:39 am
Yeah. I'm gonna go with (at least for me) !M sucks. I get the same spazzy, choppy environment remoting into other Win10 laptops from a Win10 laptop as I do to the Mint box. Back to the drawing board.
OK was wrong about this (at least partially). Making the PC run in a proper 'headless' mode at Run Level 3 worked wonders for the choppy graphics. see: https://www.nomachine.com/AR03P00973 but the audio still skips a bit. And running the HD on the Linux machine as a connected device works but it cannot parse a playlist w/o skipping either. :( So I don't know.
Looks better, sounds still trashy.
megahertz!

Return to “Other networking topics”