Router firewall blocking Linux from accessing the internet

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
esaphire3
Level 1
Level 1

Router firewall blocking Linux from accessing the internet

Post by esaphire3 »

I just recently started with Linux Mint, I have mint 19.3 installed on a flash drive, at home it works perfectly fine, but when I try it in my office Linux cannot connect to the internet.
It seems to be that the router in my office is blocking Linux from connecting to the internet. I know that it is not a problem with the connection settings in my Linux as Teamviewer works and I can connect to a computer somewhere else, but nothing else is able to connect to the internet.
I spent much time digging around on the forum and on Google, and the fact that Teamviewer works perfectly fine seems to rule out pretty much everything else besides being blocked by a router firewall. I did find that Teamviewer has a built-in workaround to bypass router firewalls, this seems to further corroborate my theory that the router firewall is what's blocking Linux from accessing the internet.
I found a piece of software online called PortFusion that seems to be made for exactly my kind of situation, as one of the uses listed for it is to bypass router firewalls.
However I was not able to figure out how to install and configure the program, as it seems to be designed for much higher level users than I am.
The instructions provided on their site are minimal, and searching on Google I was not able to find anything that was understandable to me.
If anybody could try to download the software and figure it out, and then provide some clearer instruction on how to install it and configure it for my situation that a newbie like me will understand, I would greatly appreciate it.
https://sourceforge.net/p/portfusion/home/PortFusion/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The first step is to establish that something
is possible; then probability will occur."
-Elon Musk
There is light at the end of the tunnel. Pray that it's not a train.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Router firewall blocking Linux from accessing the internet

Post by Schultz »

I don't think bypassing your company's firewall would be a good idea. :!:
esaphire3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by esaphire3 »

That is an issue between me and my company. I am going to get past it its just a matter of how.
-Elon Musk
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The first thing that would need doing is figuring out if thread title is in fact correct; whether or not you diagnosed your issue correctly, and unfortunately there's no information provided with which to do so.

I.e., in what sense is / do you feel you are "being blocked from connecting to the internet"? It is for example fairly common to have people proclaim such when everything except DNS is in fact working fine. You are also not describing in, conversely, what sense TeamViewer "works fine". I.e., what are you doing with TeamViewer? Connecting to a home network, i.e., to something outside the office? And do you specify what to connect to via IP, or via name, or ...

If outside of the office, certainly you are not being blocked on a Firewall level; again likely just DNS. Buy anyways, please be more descriptive.
esaphire3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by esaphire3 »

rene wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:09 am The first thing that would need doing is figuring out if thread title is in fact correct; whether or not you diagnosed your issue correctly, and unfortunately there's no information provided with which to do so.

I.e., in what sense is / do you feel you are "being blocked from connecting to the internet"? It is for example fairly common to have people proclaim such when everything except DNS is in fact working fine. You are also not describing in, conversely, what sense TeamViewer "works fine". I.e., what are you doing with TeamViewer? Connecting to a home network, i.e., to something outside the office? And do you specify what to connect to via IP, or via name, or ...

If outside of the office, certainly you are not being blocked on a Firewall level; again likely just DNS. Buy anyways, please be more descriptive.
I can use teamviewer to connect to my computer at home.
Aside from that nothing else is able to connect to the outside internet.
-Elon Musk

Return to “Networking”