Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
OptimusPrimeMint
Level 1
Level 1

DNS fun and games - the intention of connecting to a windows pc

Post by OptimusPrimeMint »

Unable to ping workstation by name, only IP. I can connect to the company VPN using swansong (forgive the spelling) client. The connection is established fine and I've noticed I can ping my windows pc by ip but not its host name.

I'm running linux mint 19.3 and seemingly theres something up with DNS but as I'm new to linux I'm unsure where to start. Next step is to sort the ability to rdp to the windows pc but that's another thing I'm working at solving.
deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Re: DNS fun and games - the intention of connecting to a windows pc

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can add hostname with IP in hosts file 8n Mint.
https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/serv ... osts-file/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

OptimusPrimeMint wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:50 pm
Unable to ping workstation by name, only IP. I can connect to the company VPN using swansong (forgive the spelling) client. The connection is established fine and I've noticed I can ping my windows pc by ip but not its host name.

I'm running linux mint 19.3 and seemingly theres something up with DNS but as I'm new to linux I'm unsure where to start. Next step is to sort the ability to rdp to the windows pc but that's another thing I'm working at solving.
At the top of the page, in red, it says...
Forum rules
Your post isn't making sense. For example, when you say "Unable to ping workstation by name, only IP. I can connect to the company VPN", you haven't defined the relationship between the workstation and the VPN. Then you say you're running LM 19.3 but the relationship to "workstation" and "company VPN" is completely undefined. Forcing those who may assist you to make assumptions is a very good way of going around in circles and wasting everyone's time.

Edit: I see you've already been sent on one goose chase by deepakdeshp.
Last edited by Kadaitcha Man on Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:27 pm
Good grief, man. How is that going to help? The D in DNS stands for dynamic. How is that going to work if the IPs are not static?
deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:32 pm
deepakdeshp wrote:
Good grief, man. How is that going to help? The D in DNS stands for dynamic. How is that going to work if the IPs are not static?
I would appreciate if you get your facts straight before acting like an expert.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.webope ... D/DNS.html
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:38 pm
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:32 pm
deepakdeshp wrote:
I would appreciate if you get your facts straight before acting like an expert.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.webope ... D/DNS.html
The unanswered question stands. How is that going to work if the IPs are not static?
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

@deepakdeshp beat me to it... :mrgreen:
Peer review = Ossification of current assumptions, the censorship of competing hypotheses.

Mathematical proofs = Elegant consistencies within a synthetic man-made universe.
Models are not reality, no matter how elegant.
OptimusPrimeMint
Level 1
Level 1

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:31 pm
OptimusPrimeMint wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:50 pm

At the top of the page, in red, it says...
Forum rules
Your post isn't making sense. For example, when you say "Unable to ping workstation by name, only IP. I can connect to the company VPN", you haven't defined the relationship between the workstation and the VPN. Then you say you're running LM 19.3 but the relationship to "workstation" and "company VPN" is completely undefined. Forcing those who may assist you to make assumptions is a very good way of going around in circles and wasting everyone's time.

Edit: I see you've already been sent on one goose chase by deepakdeshp.
Hello.

Ok, sorry. I failed to state that part, my linux system is personal and in no way attached to my company. The windows pc I wish to connect to is domain joined.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

OptimusPrimeMint wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:39 pm
Ok, sorry. I failed to state that part, my linux system is personal and in no way attached to my company. The windows pc I wish to connect to is domain joined.
I take it you're attempting to connect to a remote Windows machine over your company's VPN from your Linux Mint desktop. Is that correct? If it is, and you connect to the machine by IP address, why do you need to connect to it using its domain name, i.e. what exactly is the problem with using the IP address instead of the DNS name?

It's possible that your company VPN isn't providing DNS your machine, and if that's true then nothing can be done, except to suggest that you contact your company IT and ask them to assist you, or get the IP address of the DNS server and try to force its use in your network manager VPN connection settings.
OptimusPrimeMint
Level 1
Level 1

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:55 pm
OptimusPrimeMint wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:39 pm
I take it you're attempting to connect to a remote Windows machine over your company's VPN from your Linux Mint desktop. Is that correct? If it is, and you connect to the machine by IP address, why do you need to connect to it using its domain name, i.e. what exactly is the problem with using the IP address instead of the DNS name?

It's possible that your company VPN isn't providing DNS your machine, and if that's true then nothing can be done, except to suggest that you contact your company IT and ask them to assist you, or get the IP address of the DNS server and try to force its use in your network manager VPN connection settings.
Hello,

Yes that is exactly it, my company use DHCP so the IP is forever changing.

It attempts to connect via IP ( although a seperate issue has occured re connecting to the PC) but by name it just doesnt work.

Return to “Other networking topics”