Wireguard and Network Manager

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
valimazarescu
Level 1
Level 1

Wireguard and Network Manager

Post by valimazarescu »

Hi.
Is it possible to create a Wireguard VPN connection in Network Manager?
Apparently Network Manager starting version 1.60 integrates already this protocol but it doesn't seem to work in Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
I tried to install a plugin but it misses lots of dependencies in the process of compliling.
Am I doing something wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Wireguard and Network Manager

Post by Moonstone Man »

valimazarescu wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:55 pm Am I doing something wrong?
Yes. Scroll up to the top of the page and look for:
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NewWorldHero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NewWorldHero »

Youre doing nothing wrong Vali- a completely legit question, well stated, and some full, complete answers needed by 100k+ of Mint users. Rude, territorial self-proclaimed 'forum police' responses like you got should be qualification for permanent ban of the poster who gave that unacceptable response post.

Seems NO ONE will or can answer why 19.3's network manager does not include addition of Wireguard, and WHEN it will be included.
Home and personal use technology is an expense, not an investment..
mightywomble

Post by mightywomble »

I'd ask exactly the same question, fresh install of Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon today, I've got most of it setup, go to install the network-manager Wireguard package, nothing there, the only gui think I can find is a hinky applet which complains about sudo access and the same helpful "you should be using pkexec not sudo" reply on that.

This isn't new, the supported version of Network Manager isn't new, why isn't this a thing? Do I really need to go back to OpenSUSE?
kwazy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kwazy »

Even though it is written that Network Manager supports Wireguard natively it does not mean end users can already use it. There is no GUI support yet, and there is no peer adding support yet. You can try to hack and bring it up through the console using 5 long-to-type commands. But if you are comfortable with command line you can simply use wg command and bring it up without Network Manager ans save your time.

However, anyone who would like to try the command mentioned in the Gnome blog, here are few tips

1. if you copy and run exact commands you will get

Code: Select all

PING 1.1.1.1 56(84) bytes of data.
From localhost (10.0.0.2) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
ping: sendmsg: Required key not available
This is happening because Wireguard is set as default gateway before the handshake is able to complete

2. To fix it yo have to set Wireguad to:

autoconnect no

3. Then bring the wireguard connection down, restart the service, wait until you connect to the internet and bring wireguard up:

nmcli connection down my-wg0
service network-manager restart
# wait few seconds
nmcli connection up my-wg0
patrickbeattie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by patrickbeattie »

After reading this article https://www.xmodulo.com/wireguard-vpn-n ... r-gui.html regarding wireguard and network manager. I upgraded my linux mint from mint19.1 to mint20 thinking I could turn wireguard on and off as easily as i do open vpn. But after the upgrade I notice that network manager has not changed at all and wiregurad is still not listed. Can the great creators of mint please update the network manager, I'm sure this is on the wish list of many users.
Essetee1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Essetee1 »

djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

NewWorldHero wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:49 pm
Seems NO ONE will or can answer why 19.3's network manager does not include addition of Wireguard, and WHEN it will be included.
AIUI, it's too old of a version. Chances are, it'll never get added in Ubuntu 18.04's backports.

20.04 (mint 20's base) will likely backport it after 22.04 comes out.
iRiKi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iRiKi »

mightywomble wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:18 pm I'd ask exactly the same question, fresh install of Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon today, I've got most of it setup, go to install the network-manager Wireguard package, nothing there, the only gui think I can find is a hinky applet which complains about sudo access and the same helpful "you should be using pkexec not sudo" reply on that.

This isn't new, the supported version of Network Manager isn't new, why isn't this a thing? Do I really need to go back to OpenSUSE?
Complain does nothing to help.

Apparently, nm GUI support for Wireguard is only available on Ubuntu 22.04, so LM20 users will not be able to use it.

However, the applet does works wonders after you remove it, run the command mentioned in the applet

sudo setfacl -m u:$username:rx /etc/wireguard/
, and add the applet again. Works wonders.

Return to “Networking”