Mounting server ext3 filesystem

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jeztastic

Mounting server ext3 filesystem

Post by Jeztastic »

Hi

I have just installed Mint on my girlfriend's laptop - giving it a try instead of Ubuntu. So far I like it a lot, just getting to grips with the differences.

I have a pc running Ubuntu server edition which I use for streaming video and music. I want to mount this on my gf's laptop so she can access the files easily. I managed to do this on my own laptop in ubuntu, but I can't remember how I did it. It's not an ftp thing, the protocol I used shows the server as if it were a drive on the computer. How can I do this in Mint?

Thanks,

Jez
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mounting server ext3 filesystem

Post by altair4 »

You might want to go to your Ubuntu laptop and view your /etc/fstab to see if you have an entry that looks similar to this:
//netbiosname/sharename /media/sharename cifs guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
If you don't have an entry in fstab you might have done it this way:

Open Terminal
Type gvfs-mount smb://192.168.0.100/Share_name
Changing 192.168.0.100 to match the ip address of the Server
OR
Type gvfs-mount smb://Machine_Name/Share_name

It should automatically place a network folder icon on the desktop that will launch Nautilus when selected, create an entry under "Places" in Nautilus and create a mount point at /home/your_user_name/.gvfs/.......
If that's the way you did it you can create a desktop launcher with the gvfs-mount .... command in it.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Jeztastic

Re: Mounting server ext3 filesystem

Post by Jeztastic »

Thanks. I used sshfs :) All working now.

Return to “Networking”