What's wrong with my Firewall?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WadeWayne
Level 2
Level 2

What's wrong with my Firewall?

Post by WadeWayne »

After installing firewalld, the firewall (GUI) that came pre-installed with my Linux Mint gets turned off constantly. What gives?
Should I be worried?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3
DE: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: What's wrong with my Firewall?

Post by Moem »

I don't think it's wise, or useful, to run two firewalls at the same time. The built-in firewall is ufw, with the GUI called gufw; adding firewalld to that is unlikely to do anything positive and it may even be that ufw shuts off because firewalld is running. I would recommend choosing one or the other.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Running two at a time is definitely a no-no on Windows, and I'm sure it would be the same on Linux. They can conflict with each other, which can make it less effective than running only one. Run the one you like better and dump the other (or just turn it off).

EDIT
It just occurred to me . . . you don't think that the gui is just for any firewall? That gui is only for ufw, so it's ufw that is shut off, not firewalld.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Both FirewallD and UFW is not firewalls, it's just tools to manage iptables. It is unclear if you have disabled ufw.service while installing FirewallD. See systemctl status ufw.serice -- it is a bad idea to have two services trying to manage iptables at the same time and it produces a lot of trouble.
If you want to switch between them, there is procedure for that, and do not forget that their rule-sets are not compatible and you need to adjust them before switching services as well as manage listening sockets during the process.
-=t42=-
WadeWayne
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WadeWayne »

Should I stick with firewalld and leave ufw alone?
Last edited by WadeWayne on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It sure looks like ufw can't run because firewalld is running.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
WadeWayne
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WadeWayne »

Moem wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:45 am It sure looks like ufw can't run because firewalld is running.
Should I stick with firewalld and leave ufw alone?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Why did you install firewalld in the first place? I have only every used ufw, is there an advantage to firewalld?

t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

WadeWayne wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:43 am Should I stick with firewalld and leave ufw alone?
On your screenshot you have both services running. Just stop of of them
sudo systemctl stop uwf.service or sudo systemctl stop firewalld.service

It is unknown how you installed FirewallD, but as FirewallD is an API only and you need to install GUI to control it, may be you have it or maybe don't. Also it is unknown what version of LM you have, it may be important (or not) for problem solving.
-=t42=-
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Moem wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:54 am Why did you install firewalld in the first place? I have only every used ufw, is there an advantage to firewalld?
This is the $64,000 question here. Was there a particular reason you installed firewalld? If the answer is yes then that will impact your question of whether to stick with firewalld or not.
WadeWayne
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WadeWayne »

Schultz wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:12 pm
Moem wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:54 am Why did you install firewalld in the first place? I have only every used ufw, is there an advantage to firewalld?
This is the $64,000 question here. Was there a particular reason you installed firewalld? If the answer is yes then that will impact your question of whether to stick with firewalld or not.
😅I installed it out of curiosity a few months ago. LOL.
WadeWayne
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WadeWayne »

t42 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:36 pm
WadeWayne wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:43 am Should I stick with firewalld and leave ufw alone?
On your screenshot you have both services running. Just stop of of them
sudo systemctl stop uwf.service or sudo systemctl stop firewalld.service

It is unknown what version of LM you have, it may be important (or not) for problem solving.

I stopped ufw.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

WadeWayne wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:26 am I stopped ufw.
so, you made your choice :) Do you have installed an interface to control firewalld or you are doing that from command line? just curious... As I remember firewalld allows to fine-tune the traffic throughoutput, just to lazy to try it myself.
-=t42=-
WadeWayne
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WadeWayne »

t42 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 am
WadeWayne wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:26 am I stopped ufw.
Do you have installed an interface to control firewalld or you are doing that from command line?
:) COMMAND LINE!
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

I use no firewall for years (at/for home use).
But to each their own.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Burning Desires 69
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Burning Desires 69 »

Running two at a time is definitely a no-no on Windows, and I'm sure it would be the same on Linux.

While I Agree that i've never seen more then 1 Firewall work in Windows, i've actually used more then 1 Anti-Virus before in Windows,
yes? For Multi-Security... Most say don't do this, but i've done it, & had no problems.

Though, with Windows 10, i've actually gone without any Security at all, because I had Pro Version,
& having Pro Edition allowed Application Guard take care of all of that for me.

Application Guard is no longer being used, because Microsoft took it away.

As for the Linux Platform goes. Linux does not have Application Guard, & I would not expect the same treatment
coming from Linux over Security. I've also not heard too many concerns about the Security.

The thing is? I read about a breach, or concern, that I read wasn't much of a Concern...
I've not done anything with my Firewall, & haven't had any issues over Security myself,
but I also noticed the Firewall having issues...

My Firewall is not accepting any Rules, & when it does, the Rules don't do anything.

I was trying to setup my Firewall for this:
- Tomb Raider: Multiplayer Mode Online
- Transmission
- IRC Chat

Asking for Privileges from my Firewall to Allow for Port Forwarding.

Now, don't get me wrong? I've had trouble with this on Windows, too. It's not a New Concern,
but being New to Linux makes it harder to deal with.

by rickNS » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:21 pm
I use no firewall for years (at/for home use).
But to each their own.

Sooo many people on some Platforms tell you that you need Security, that you need a lot of it,
& you need it overly strict. They will even say I only wish we had more of it.

To those people, I would Agree with @rickNS that while it is to each their own, I haven't needed
all that crazy Security stuff myself. If you know what your doing, then you really don't need it.
I do believe in some form of Security is ok to have, I just like having it being low. Why low? Because
it allows me to learn, adapt, & actually breath. Which I like having the ability to do, & again it is to each their own.
I Loved World = 80's & 90's
World Hates Me = 2016 to 2019
I Hate World = 2020 & ^
They want us to Suffer, then lets speed it up, just burn our Sanity away. Else, Shut It!
A "Scar" Means? Yur About To Find Out, The Hard Way!

Return to “Networking”