A good VPN (minimum requirements)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

A good VPN (minimum requirements)

Post by Menard »

Hello

Stop me if I am wrong but ....
There is no open source software for VPN on Linux that provide a kill switch, and compatible with VPN known companies (?)

so that question is solved : install Windows :o

nb : I just want to have the right to use as anybody else, a personal account on FB and T, even after having made an enormous criminal mistake : "violate our community standards" one time and so i am bullyied by algoritmes for everything for years and even pictures published in 2017 because they cannot understand humour and 2nd degree
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Un good VPN (minimum requirements)

Post by Moonstone Man »

Menard wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:53 am Hello

Stop me if I am wrong but ....
There is no open source software for VPN on Linux that provide a kill switch, and compatible with VPN known companies (?)
You are absolutely wrong on all of it.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:56 am
You are absolutely wrong on all of it.
If the solution you are thinking about, needs to be a geek to be used, it violates the rules of our community :)
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Menard wrote: There is no open source software for VPN on Linux that provide a kill switch, and compatible with VPN known companies (?)
For the rare occasion where I need a VPN, I use ProtonVPN, which is open source, runs on Linux (among others), and has a kill switch option. I'm sure there are others out there.
Menard wrote: so that question is solved : install Windows
Best of luck to you.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:02 am For the rare occasion where I need a VPN, I use ProtonVPN, which is open source, runs on Linux (among others), and has a kill switch option. I'm sure there are others out there.
OK I see this in fact on their documentation, they have a command line tool for Linux ... :x

"The ProtonVPN Linux app is currently officially supported on the following distros:

Ubuntu 18.04 (LTS)
Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS)
Fedora 33"
:?:

Notice that I wonder why openvpn has not added a killswitch feature because i tried it for nothing with Trustzone in free account ... :x Hey Linux community, If no killswitch on an application let it outside of your distro, idem for Wireguard ... I wonder
--

Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:02 am For the rare occasion where I need a VPN, I use ProtonVPN, which is open source, runs on Linux (among others), and has a kill switch option. I'm sure there are others out there.
Proton VPN, it works, I test it for free and I succeded to install their application for Linux, it seems to be serious, but I face an issue on my non admin account, it is a bug on the command -s (status) which allows to know if it is connected and if killswitch is on, the DL bandwith is reduced on the server I ve chosen (NL 5) to 17 instead of 95 but UL is quite good 4.5 it is in TCP
--

MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: A good VPN (minimum requirements)

Post by MartyMint »

Menard wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:53 am There is no open source software for VPN on Linux that provide a kill switch, and compatible with VPN known companies (?)
I don't understand what you're asking for....a clickey-clickey desktop button to toggle your VPN service?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

MartyMint wrote:
Menard wrote: There is no open source software for VPN on Linux that provide a kill switch, and compatible with VPN known companies (?)
I don't understand what you're asking for....a clickey-clickey desktop button to toggle your VPN service?
It's my understanding that a VPN kill switch is, if the connection to the VPN server is terminated for whatever reason, all network traffic is automatically blocked, thus preventing any I/O to go unknowingly unencrypted.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

JoeFootball wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:39 pm
MartyMint wrote:
It's my understanding that a VPN kill switch is, if the connection to the VPN server is terminated for whatever reason, all network traffic is automatically blocked, thus preventing any I/O to go unknowingly unencrypted.
Okay. I have ExpressVPN on my phone and that feature is set to on.
On my computer it isn't, unless there's a switch, but I haven't gotten that deeply into the manual.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

MartyMint wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:14 pm
In my knowings about VPNs that work on OS, to get a killswitch, means to install an application other than openvpn, or in addition to openvpn, so if the VPN gives no application for Linux then probably it has not a kill switch feature ... but an exception is Wireguard but it seemed to me difficult with it, a long tutorial exists on the forums to set a killswitch with wireguard, it seems to be not automatic
--

MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

FWIW, in my 2 years with ExpressVPN, I've never had it go down.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I believe the killswitch defaults to off, but you can toggle it with:
expressvpn preferences set network_lock off
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

OK but in fact I wasn't really thinking to the most used and most expensive ones ...
Anyway i tested this one : protonvpn and it seems to work, I cannot connect to it without sudo rights but I suppose it is like this for all, but they never tell it
--

Return to “Networking”