[SOLVED] Mysterious access to Library Genesis

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
random_jc
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Mysterious access to Library Genesis

Post by random_jc »

I am currently in France, and the main internet providers here are required by law to block access to Library Genesis, e.g. at libgen.rs. However, on my Linux Mint 18.3 with Firefox, I can actually access it.

This looks quite mysterious to me, since for instance I cannot access the website if I use Chrome instead of Firefox. Things also fail if I reboot to a bootable USB drive with Linux Mint and Firefox. It also fails if I use any other device (and the same internet connection), or if I reboot to Windows.

I tried to play a bit with the privacy settings in Firefox, but did not find anything that would disrupt my access to libgen.rs (or enable it elsewhere). Does someone have an idea of what is going on?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Mysterious access to Library Genesis

Post by t42 »

- maybe you've switched on DNS over HTPS (DOH) in your Firefox preferences
- and maybe your Internet provider is blocking access with the DNS "poisoning"
If these two conditions are met, this explains the issue. You can check point 1 in your Firefox settings and you can check point 2 sending complaint to your ISP :)
-=t42=-
random_jc
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mysterious access to Library Genesis

Post by random_jc »

You got it! Switching the DoH off breaks my ability to connect to Library Genesis. I didn't really understand your second point about the DNS poisoning, but I'm happy that I have an explanation now! Thanks a lot.

Return to “Networking”