RealVNC Remote responding Very Slow

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DadOfRCA
Level 1
Level 1

RealVNC Remote responding Very Slow

Post by DadOfRCA »

Hi,

I've installed RealVNC on my Linux Mint machine to gain remote access. When I remote into the Machine everything responds very slow, about a 5-second wait in between clicks. This happens if I'm remoting in on my local network, or at a remote site. Any ideas how I can resolve this as I don't think it's an issue with RealVNC as this worked fine when I had Windows 10 installed on the same computer.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: RealVNC Remote responding Very Slow

Post by Moonstone Man »

DadOfRCA wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:52 am I've installed RealVNC on my Linux Mint machine to gain remote access. When I remote into the Machine everything responds very slow, about a 5-second wait in between clicks. This happens if I'm remoting in on my local network, or at a remote site.
The behaviour you describe is often due to remoting into a system without a display attached, or with a display that was turned off when the machine was booted, or a machine where the monitor has been switched off, or the machine is running headless. Each of those conditions lead to having an X-screen provided by the video card's framebuffer rather than the video card's accelerated graphics engine, and framebuffer is notoriously slow.

If the system you are remoting into meets any one of those conditions then that's what's likely to be happening, no accelerated graphics, only slow, old framebuffer graphics. You could try starting the X-server from within the remote connection. but perhaps the better solution is to use an xorg.conf for headless machines, but this method relies on everything you haven't told us, so giving it to you requires outright guesswork on my part in that I must presume that you have a video driver that can read and configure the graphics device from an xorg.conf file:

In xorg.conf, add this to the Screen Section:

Code: Select all

SubSection     "Display"
        Virtual     1920 1080
    EndSubSectio
You can use any resolution, it will require a reboot, it's very inconvenient and it might not work at all. You could also try restarting the display manager, but again, an accurate answer that doesn't rely on outright guesswork also relies on everything you haven't told us. For Cinnamon:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl restart lightdm
To avoid forcing us to play 20 questions with each other and making wild guesses about what we are and are not dealing with, please read this link: how to get help, especially section 5. It will tell you what we need to be told so that we can assist you without having to guess.
DadOfRCA
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DadOfRCA »

That's exactly the situation actually. I have it unplugged from a monitor, as its in another room. Wow, I hadn't thought of any of this.
DadOfRCA
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DadOfRCA »

Thank you for the detailed response by the way, I will look through the links and ideas that you mentioned. And will work on this over the weekend .
XiozTzu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XiozTzu »

Did you get it to work? I am in the same situation and the instructions above did not work for me.

Return to “Networking”