Linux mint HD not accessable from network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marinus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint HD not accessable from network

Post by marinus »

Month ago i bought a HP T620 client computer to run Home Assistant on it.

Installed Linux Mint and Home assistant. Last week i thought, if this computer runs day and night, why not connect a Hdisk on the USB3.0 port and make it also my NAS.
So, i installed SAMBA and Nautilus-share, shared 2 directories on the Hdisk in Nautilus and was happy when i saw this:

On the Linux mint computer i see my windows network, with all shared directories.
On my Windows 10 computer i see the 2 directories on the Linux Mint computer USB Hdisk that i shared.

I can use files in the windows network with the Linux computer, but when i try to access the 2 Linux directories i get "Network error, you are not alloud....etc etc... ask you're networkmanager.

The problem is that i AM the networkmanager, and i have NO idea.

I searched the forum for simular problems, wich i can't really find, and if it looks like, i get lost in config files en terminal actions.
What can i do to solve this? I love this Linux Cinnamon Mint graphical version, it's my first steps in a system i always thought of to be difficult. and yes, the Linux users/rules/passwords are difficult to me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux mint HD not accessable from network

Post by altair4 »

I don't know how you have set up these shares. Posting the output of the following commands would tell us that:

Code: Select all

testparm -s

net usershare info --long
Based on your description I can offer a guess.

If this USB HDD is mounted to /media/you-user-name/XXX it will only be accessible to "your-user-name" because of the way Linux is set up. One way around this issue is to make all of your network clients look like "your-user-name" to samba. You do that by editing

/etc/samba/smb.conf
and adding under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line this line - with your real Linux user name:

force user = your-user-name
Then restart smbd: sudo service smbd restart
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
marinus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux mint HD not accessable from network

Post by marinus »

Well, i added these shares in Nautilus file explorer. I right click on the map i want to share, click properties, and then select everything, included guests.
It seems that is not enough, and still some config file editting is needed.

because your :

¨and adding under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line this line - with your real Linux user name:

force user = your-user-name

Then restart smbd: sudo service smbd restart¨

Did the trick.
After that i have access to my Linux directory and files, from my Windows computer. :D :D

:? :? Still my Android media box is not getting into it, gives ¨timeout¨ when i want to enter the USB disk on the Linux computer. Any ideas?

Return to “Networking”