File sharing for non admin user [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

File sharing for non admin user [SOLVED]

Post by solar1951 »

Hopefully a quick and easy question.
I have recently set up Linux for my wife and as such have created 2 users - me as admin with priveledges for everything and my wife as a seperate user with own login and home but on the same partition.
I can share folders from my home directory using nautilus with ease but I cannot figure out how my wife can share folders from her home folder.
No encryption of folders on the system but I cant share her folders from my login and she cant share from her login. Obviously a "permissions" issue but do I have to give her admin rights ? I dont really want to do this as she is new to Linux I dont really want her installing programs - ( just yet anyway !)
Any help appreciated - please keep it relatively simple :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: File sharing for non admin user

Post by altair4 »

I think this should have been done by default but maybe I'm wrong so try this:

As the "Admin" user go to Menu > Administration > Users and Groups > Unlock > select the other user's name > Properties > User Privileges > check "Share Files with the Local Network" > OK > Close

This will allow your wife to share folders from her home folder.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
deep64blue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deep64blue »

Another option is to create a separate DATA folder e.g. /media/DATA, create a symlink to it from each of your home folders and store your files there. Don't forget to create a Group, add the two of you in and give the group access to the folder.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Maybe I misread the original post. I thought that since this was in the networking section of the forum you were talking about sharing the folder "to the network" so that other lan users could access the share.

Sorry if I misunderstood.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Re: File sharing for non admin user -[SOLVED]

Post by solar1951 »

altair4 wrote:Maybe I misread the original post. I thought that since this was in the networking section of the forum you were talking about sharing the folder "to the network" so that other lan users could access the share.

Sorry if I misunderstood.
altair you are quite correct. I shall try it out and mark "solved" if it works. Thanks to all for replies.

Return to “Networking”