Clearwire USB?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Clearwire USB?

Post by Lolo Uila »

Anyone tried a Clearwire USB adapter, and did it work?

I've got a friend using an Acer Netbook with Win-XP and her needs are simple (email, web, basic photo editing). She's not particularly attached to Windows, and is actually not happy about all the viruses and other crap that keep messing up her system. I have her computer now and it's seriously infested, to the point of needed a complete wipe and restore. I was thinking that she might be happier with Linux, but when I tried Mint9 (and Ubuntu Netbook Edition) on her system I had no luck with her Clearwire USB adapter.

Nothing happens when I plug it in. I suppose this isn't a big surprise, but it is a bit disappointing. Anyone have any experience with Clearwire USB dongles?

This one says:
CLEAR 01.10.10
4G Mobile USB
Model: PXU1900
Manufactured in China by Ubee

I'd love to get this thing working and let her give Linux a try. I tried google but didn't find anything useful. If anyone has any info that could help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Clearwire USB?

Post by Biker »

Clear does not provide a USB modem that will work under Linux. Clear is supposedly in the process of getting Linux drivers created for their USB modems, but to date, it hasn't come to fruition yet.

From what I've been able to dig up, there's one Intel chipset that's compatible with WiMax and I don't think that chipset is used in the modems that are provided by clear, so even nidswrapper will not work.
Linux User #384279
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Clearwire USB?

Post by donec »

The funny thing is that the software for clearwire is linux.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE

Return to “Networking”