Tutorials (for novices) on accessing Windows networks?

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Tutorials (for novices) on accessing Windows networks?

Post by Nick_Djinn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:03 am

This isnt a specific tech problem, so I dont think my individual stats are necessary here.

I have had difficulty in the past accessing Windows networks from Linux. I would like to use a live disk on a PC in a large Windows network. I suppose I would be using Samba.

I am just looking for some basic and general/inclusive tutorials that are recommended for people who dont know a lot about networking.

deleted

Re: Tutorials (for novices) on accessing Windows networks?

Post by deleted » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:26 am

No real tutorial needed. Assuming you're using gnome (the main edition) open nautilus, then go-> location, then enter smb://[my windows share]. You'll be prompted for your credentials for logging into the windows share. For the "advanced", usually the share is mounted to ~.gvfs/[mint userid on windows pc].
-Hinto

Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick_Djinn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:56 am

The problem is that usually we just need our student ID to access certain areas of the site, but when I log in from live linux CD it doesnt ask us to log in like it does with Windows. It kind of bypasses that feature. I dont know if that means that it just bypasses the entire security of the system....I hope not, for their sake....but this might present some issues when it comes to verification if not.

feodor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by feodor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:59 am

This works for me:

In Mint KDE, open Dolphin, choose Network -> Add Network Folder, then pick Microsoft Windows network drive. Fill in the Server and Folder with the correct information; Name may be anything. Save.

A new folder should now be present in Network; double-click and provide your credentials (Username and Password)

Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick_Djinn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks.

deleted

Post by deleted » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:28 am

Nick_Djinn wrote:The problem is that usually we just need our student ID to access certain areas of the site, but when I log in from live linux CD it doesnt ask us to log in like it does with Windows. It kind of bypasses that feature. I dont know if that means that it just bypasses the entire security of the system....I hope not, for their sake....but this might present some issues when it comes to verification if not.
Depending on how the Windows network is set up (not related to Mint), usually an IT department has ActiveDirectory setup to authenticate users (domain\user and password) to allow users access to Windows controlled resources. There is a challenge/response, unless the IT folks have allowed guest access (usually a big security hole). If that's the case, then with Nautilus, you can login to Windows as "you" using smb://userid@machinename/share or smb://domain/userid@machinename/share depending on how the IT folks setup the network.

-Hinto

Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick_Djinn » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:31 am

You can pretty much access the entire student sections without a password if you log in with a live unix based CD instead of using the default Windows.

I actually need to access some of the administrators area or at least what the teachers have access to because I am a TA.

deleted

Post by deleted » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:55 am

Nick_Djinn wrote:You can pretty much access the entire student sections without a password if you log in with a live unix based CD instead of using the default Windows.

I actually need to access some of the administrators area or at least what the teachers have access to because I am a TA.
Then the IT folks set it up so you can access information as guest. As for teachers area, then you'd have to use smb://userid@machinename/share or smb://domain/userid@machinename/share and provide the password when prompted.
-H

Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick_Djinn » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:11 am

I think I should have a talk with these people about security. Does this mean anybody I pissed off on the internet could easily hack into the school database and look at my grades or class schedule? Not cool.

These are the same people who installed 64bit Windows 7 on 50 computers that only have 1gb of ram :(

deleted

Post by deleted » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:37 am

No, it doesn't mean that. It means that anybody that has access to a computer on your schools network can boot Linux (and maybe Windows) and see all the information the IT department doesn't have secured.
-Hinto

Return to “Other networking topics”