Network Bridging Between Wired and Wireless

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TripleS360

Network Bridging Between Wired and Wireless

Post by TripleS360 »

I apologise if this has been asked but I would be here for a long time looking through all of these posts. I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I am trying to bridge the connection between my wired connection and my wireless. I have a HP desktop with wireless card and it is also connected to my macbook via Ethernet cable. Mint sees the Ethernet cable as a wired connection. I know in windows XP you can bridge a network easily which will allow you to use two or more Ethernet connection at the same time. This increases upload and download time. So if anyone knows of a way to do this in Mint with a wired and wireless connection, your help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any clarification please let me know and I will try to clarify. Programs or terminal commands I can handle.

Thanks from a fairly new Linux user.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mstng_67

Re: Network Bridging Between Wired and Wireless

Post by mstng_67 »

Are you trying to bond links together for load balancing? "Link bonding" or "Etherchannel"???
TripleS360

Post by TripleS360 »

mstng_67 wrote:Are you trying to bond links together for load balancing? "Link bonding" or "Etherchannel"???
Hopefully this is the correct way to reply. I guess bonding would be a good word. I use bridge because that is what it is called in xp and what my instructor in my computer class calls it. I guess I want to use my wireless connection and Ethernet connection at the same time. This is suppose to speed up download and upload times and make you internet run faster.
mstng_67

Post by mstng_67 »

This is suppose to speed up download and upload times and make you internet run faster.
I seriously doubt that you will see an increase in download speed from your ISP by bonding your ethernet with your wireless link. Here is the simple reason; the slowest of the two technologies is your wireless (802.11), but even that is MUCH faster than most WAN links (link to your ISP). Even with the error correction overhead 802.11G has an average throughput of around 22 Mbps. Unless you have FiOS, it is doubtful that you have a connection that exceeds 802.11G. If you do happen to have a connection that is faster than 802.11G there is always 802.11N which most newer hardware supports and is ridiculously faster than the G standard. All of that aside, if you connect to standard Cat5 (not Cat5e) copper you have a LAN bandwidth of 100 Mbps! I don't know anyone with 100 Mbps to their home (not yet anyway :) ). "Link bonding" or "link teaming" is more for enterprise networks that need load-balancing for high-volume links. It is not meant for the average home user.

Best regards,

Micheal
TripleS360

Post by TripleS360 »

mstng_67 wrote:
This is suppose to speed up download and upload times and make you internet run faster.
"Link bonding" or "link teaming" is more for enterprise networks that need load-balancing for high-volume links. It is not meant for the average home user.

Best regards,

Micheal
Thanks. I can see it being for that i do have 802.11N and I wanted to because my instructor does it with 3 Ethernet cables and a wireless card on his xp machine it downloads things faster. Thanks again for the help and replies.

Return to “Networking”