Please help me mount a network drive connected to a router

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Isthmus

Please help me mount a network drive connected to a router

Post by Isthmus »

HI all:

I have a hard drive connected to my router, which is being shared by 3 computers in my house. IN windows setting up the share is easy. On the mac a little more involved. On linux mint. I've been at it now for the better part of the afternoon and I'm getting no where. I am running LM11 and I'm trying to network the drive so as to move over a large number of files. I would like the drive to be mount automatically whether the laptop is connected via ethernet cable (to do my large initial file transfer) or wirelessly (for routine back up and file access). I would also rather not have the mounted network drive show up as a folder on my desktop. It would be nice if it would show up in the network folder instead. I'm not trying to share a file within the drive. I'm trying to mount the entire drive so that I can access all its files remotely.

form what I've been able to find, I need to install SMBFS, created a destination for the mounted volume and then alter fstab so that it mounts the drive on start up. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I originally followed the instructions posted here, which seemed very straight forward:

http://www.automaticable.com/2008-01-18 ... in-ubuntu/

once SMBFS was installed I created a folder in my home directory called Network Drive Z by inputing the following into a terminal:

sudo mkdir /HOME/Network Drive Z

That created a locked folder in my home folder but it was titled Z instead of Network Drive Z.

I then edited fstab by typing in the following comand: gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

This opened fstab and at the end I entered the following (as directed by the instructions):

# Mount our network drive
//SERVER/SHARE /MOUNT-POINT smbfs guest 0 0

instead of server I entered the Ip of the drive: 192.168.1.1
for share I entered the name of the drive itself since I want to share it all: Network Drive
For mountpoint I entered the folder destination: HOME/Network Drive Z
I saved this in fstab and exited.

back in the terminal I re loaded fstab: gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
I then typed in the mount instructions: sudo mount -a

and nothing happens.

I found these instructions posted to a thread here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p406006

which allude to there being a problem. They seem to be the same instructions. For the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and would appreciate any detailed help you can give.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Please help me mount a network drive connected to a rout

Post by altair4 »

You never said if you can mount the remote drive the default way - through Nautilus. Can you connect to the drive this way in a terminal:

Code: Select all

nautilus smb://192.168.1.1
As side notes:
(1) smbfs the package has nothing to do with smbfs the deprecated filesystem - you need cifs in the fstab statement.
(2) For the sake of your own sanity don't create any files, directories, or mount points with spaces in it:

sudo mkdir /home/NetDriveZ
The "NetDriveZ" is called camel back notation - a fact that will impress some people :wink:

EDIT: Sorry , hit "submit" instead of "Preview"

Your fstab entry then would look like this:

//192.168.1.1/share-name /home/NetDriveZ cifs guest,uid=1000 0 0
You will need the "uid=1000" to take possession of the mount point since right now it's owned by root with only read access to you.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Networking”