Before you post please read how to get help
silver
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] 3g in mint 11

Post by silver »

I am running a HP Mini 1101 netbook.
I am installing mint 11.
This HP has an internal 3g Qualcomm modem.
With the liveDVD the modem is seen and runs perfectly.
Yet after I install on the hard drive the modem no longer works. I can put the live DVD back in and it works but not with the install. I'm just wondering what file or files isn't being copied onto the system that would make the modem not work.

Any ideas how to get it working again.

To the developers, it would be important to see to it that this file is transferred in future releases if possible.

Thanks
Ronnie
Last edited by silver on Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Re: 3g in mint 11

Post by dawgdoc »

See if you have these two packages installed: usb-modeswitch and usb-modeswitch-data, they may not be installed by default even though they are in the LiveDisc. If you install them and they do not auto-configure, search the forum for modeswitch, instructions are available for various devices.
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim
silver
Level 2
Level 2

Re: 3g in mint 11

Post by silver »

Thanks for the idea dawgdoc,

But I don't think that usb-modeswitch will work with an internal 3g modem from my understanding it is only for external usb modems.

I did however fix my problem.
I installed gobi loader and then created the directory /lib/firmware/gobi, and then copied in the three windows files for the internal qualcomm modem. And then rebooted and it worked.

I am assuming that this is all on the liveDVD and that is why it works with the modem. But I find it odd that they wouldn't copy over on install with the assumption that the person may continue to use their internal 3g modem.

Might be an oversight on the programmers side, I don't know but someone might want to check into it for future releases. It just makes if that much easier for the simple minded like myself when installing. :)

Have a great day.
Ronnie
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [SOLVED] 3g in mint 11

Post by dawgdoc »

I am glad you worked it out. Sorry i was not able to make it easier for you.
silver wrote:I am assuming that this is all on the liveDVD and that is why it works with the modem. But I find it odd that they wouldn't copy over on install with the assumption that the person may continue to use their internal 3g modem.

Might be an oversight on the programmers side, I don't know but someone might want to check into it for future releases.
It could be one of those proprietary driver issues, like some of the wireless and graphics drivers. Or then it could have been an oversight; if so, hopefully they will correct it.
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim

Return to “Other networking topics”