Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Long uptime = dead Google web services

Post by kneekoo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:32 pm

I already described the issue in the blog but I'll copy/paste the relevant part here.

Summary: Google web services stop working in Linux Mint on PCs with long uptimes. Versions used (that I remember of): Helena, Isadora, Julia, Katya, LMDE.

There is one issue I keep having with Linux Mint for more than a year. First I thought it was something in my PC but after we painted the house I started working on my laptop for a few days and I just let it on for a few days. I run Isadora on this laptop and I ran all the other LM versions on my PC. Google stops working after a while. Sometimes it takes 3-4 days of uptime for Google to fail on me, other times it only takes a day until it dies. And when I say Google I mean virtually everything on the web related to Google. The Google sites won’t load at all and whatever site has Google AdSense, Analytics etc only load after a very long wait (until the browser decides to drop the connections to the Google web services).

I don’t know what’s wrong. I just reboot and everything comes back to life. But if I can’t restart my PC I just use bing or yahoo search to find whatever I need.
Come visit PHP-Fusion Romania

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Long uptime = dead Google web services

Post by Jesse654 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:42 pm

While I haven't had this issue myself, here's a shot in the dark:
Delete your Google cookies.
(Is the time Google takes to stop working correlated to the time you spend uploading pages from Google sites?)

kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:15 pm

It's not by far a cookie related issue. When Google stops working I can't even ping any of their servers (and ping works fine when Google works so it's not a firewall/ICMP thing). It's like they vanish in thin air. And that causes enormously long timeouts while accessing sites with Google ads, like distrowatch.com, linuxmint.com and many others.
Come visit PHP-Fusion Romania

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:08 pm

It's not just Mint. My Mint does it, so does Ubuntu, Windows 7 and Windows XP. This is both at home and on a work network. I can immediately get to Yahoo or MSN when the failure occurs so it leads me to believe Google is having issues intermittently.

Return to “Other networking topics”