Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
david-emm
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 12 connecting network printers

Post by david-emm »

I've just installed Mint 12 RC (32 bits) and I am having problems connecting to a HP Laserjet 1015 on a Win XP machine on the local network and a HP PSC 1510 on a Mint 11 machine on the same local network. On trying to add a printer in Setting/Printers/Ntwork I get the following message

FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall. I don't think there is an installed firewall.

Can anyone help me please. All used to work OK when I used Ubuntu 11.04 (However that laptop bombed and I had to replace it with a new ACER 5755G - if thats make any difference).
david-emm
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 12 connecting network printers

Post by altair4 »

This is a long, convoluted, and confusing story. For example, FirewallD is a RedHat daemon not a Debian/Ubuntu daemon. Someone didn't do an integration test in Gnome-land when they set this up. Ubuntu w/Unity fixed this but Mint appears to be running Gnome3 directly and then modifying it.

Sorry for the rant.

Open up a Terminal and run the following command:

Code: Select all

system-config-printer
EDIT: And for the WinXP printer use "Windows printer via Samba" ( I think that's the title of the option ). The rest of the options are discombobulated and don't work properly.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
david-emm
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 12 connecting network printers <SOLVED>

Post by david-emm »

Thanks Altair4. I suspected it was something like this. Seems that there are several other inconsistencies in the RC package as well. for example the Software Centre adds and removes applications but doesn't exit cleanly - it hangs after completing its task and doesn't show that the application is installed or removed until restarted. Hopefully these niggles will be cleared up before the real Mint 12 goes on line.
david-emm
jaws222
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jaws222 »

system-config-printer

worked like a charm on Mint 12 RC. Took 2 minutes to hook up network printer. Thanks again.
david-emm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by david-emm »

Thanks jaws222. This is a command with which I was not familiar. I used localhost:631 for the same result. Seems system-config-printer links to CUPS in a similar way to localhost:631. Getting a networked printer on a linux server is difficult though. My HP PSC 1015 connects to it's server via a USB port and although it works locally its a devil to get another linux box to see it via the local network.
David-emm
Answer=42
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Answer=42 »

Thanks Altair4. Worked great. :D
LoneWolf_53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Hello.

I also have Linux Mint 12 (64 Bit) installed on this computer and am having issues getting a networked Canon Inkjet to print.

The Canon Pixma iP4820 is attached to a Windows 7 Pro computer on my home network.

I had no problem locating the printer using "system-config-printer" and also found drivers for it without issue but it simply doesn't print.

I'm sure there is communication as when I attempt to send a job to it, the light on the printer begins to flash but it never completes anything and after a while just seems to abort the job and go back into standby mode.

The printer works fine from the Windows 7 computer.

Any ideas as to why I'm unsuccessful?
Artichoke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Artichoke »

Thanks chaps! I was trying to re-connect my mate's laptop, freshly installed with Mint 12, to the laser printer hung off his Ubuntu 10.04 desktop. I was going mental until I found this thread. System-config-printer saved me! Reconnected instantly!
m0deth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m0deth »

altair4 wrote:This is a long, convoluted, and confusing story. For example, FirewallD is a RedHat daemon not a Debian/Ubuntu daemon. Someone didn't do an integration test in Gnome-land when they set this up. Ubuntu w/Unity fixed this but Mint appears to be running Gnome3 directly and then modifying it.

Sorry for the rant.

system-config-printer
EDIT: And for the WinXP printer use "Windows printer via Samba" ( I think that's the title of the option ). The rest of the options are discombobulated and don't work properly.
Thank you altair4 very much...and I agree, this GUI feels rushed, and combined with the hacked approach the Gnome folks took to 'improving' things, this didn't help. We cannot be alone either, as network printers aren't exactly a specialty item.
paw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paw »

altair4 wrote:This is a long, convoluted, and confusing story. For example, FirewallD is a RedHat daemon not a Debian/Ubuntu daemon. Someone didn't do an integration test in Gnome-land when they set this up. Ubuntu w/Unity fixed this but Mint appears to be running Gnome3 directly and then modifying it.

Sorry for the rant.

system-config-printer
Thanks altair4. I am a new user and was having a problem installing my networked printer. This worked fine.

Return to “Other networking topics”