what are some good vpn's?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jared8783

what are some good vpn's?

Post by jared8783 »

ok so i recently learned about vpn's.
I run mint 11, xp and 7.
I am looking for some opinions here as to a good company to choose.
I dont like hide my ass because I noticed in the privacy policy that they store data logs for up to two years..

I am looking for a service that can connect me through the UK, USA, Sweeden, Switzerland, and the Netherlands.

What vpn service do you reccomend?

thanks
jared
petersk

Re: what are some good vpn's?

Post by petersk »

Looking for the same... best linux mint vpn server -- I'd like to be able to tunnel through port 80.
I'm currently looking into openswan. http://wiki.openswan.org/index.php/Openswan/Configure
Do you think this is worthwhile compared to openvpn?
Kurt
jared8783

Post by jared8783 »

idk if that is worthwhile compared to open vpn as i have just learned of vpn's existence within the last week
what exactly are you trying to do? connect to a vpn set up at your house?
i am only doing this for privacy as where in the country i reside the isp's log all your internet activity
and thanks to the "patriot" act the govt can go through stuff like that whenever they like
me no like that idea

i have been using this one lately
http://www.hideipvpn.com/
it is a pay service but i am on a free 24hr trial
they only offer three hour trials but i made a really dumb noob mistake setting it up as it was my first time and i emailed them about it and they gave me a 24hr free trial
i really like it except that it does not have switzerland or sweeden so i will not be using it

though i must say it is decent
speedtest.net usually gives me 20-25mbps download with no vpn and when i connected halfway across the world i still got nearly eight. im impressed. i have used it with torrents and it works well

now i just need to find a non-usa based company that minimally stores logs and can connect me through the countries i described in my first post
petersk

Post by petersk »

Yes, I only want to connect through my home. Preferably through port 80 since those are likely unblocked through a remote ISP. I took a look at strongSwan and installed that because someone's post said they have the best docs and examples, but I am having a hard time making heads or tails on how to just do a simple certificate-based connection with it through IPSEC given NAT translation through my home router. Additionally, no example seems to show how to change the server's UDP ports.
Is there a tutorial out there with more simplified language? Their generation of certificates section was really good, but the left/right parameters and what they mean have a lot to be desired.

Kurt
Jarrel9

Post by Jarrel9 »

sorry i would not recommend any VPN, anonymity while surfing Internet may be a major concern for many People. Hackers are most established participants in the category although they don’t rely on simple solutions like VPN. Anonymous web surfing using VPN or Web Proxy minimizes the risks in leaving traces of browsing. Some main purposes for anonymous web browsing can be identified as

Bypass/Unblock Local Firewall Restrictions
The user may be forced to browse web through some firewall of local network at office school/university, or country. In result, the web surfers are not allowed to visit some of websites according to the policy. These websites may include social websites like Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and many more. The restriction may have been enforced over larger scale like China has blocked through ‘Great Firewall of China’.

Bypass/Unblock Default Regional Restrictions
There are many web services which impose restrictions on IP level so that these services can be accessed from specific regions. For example, Hulu and Pandora are not accessible outside of USA. Similarly, Spotify is only available in major parts of Europe.

Anonymous Web Browsing/Surfing for Privacy
The user does not want to reveal its identity which can be traced. Anyone who wants to speak about forbidden social issues, receive some information, and involve in illegal activities like P2P file sharing without revealing the identity is concerned.

There are two popular solutions for anonymous web surfing which are free VPN and Web Proxies. Free web proxies are usually less secure and fast and they also block java scripts or dynamic content. Specifically, if the user is behind regional restrictions imposed by websites like Hulu and want to view videos outside US then free web proxies are useless. In this case, the most viable and useful solution is to use free VPN software/clients. List of following free VPN services are being compiled after comprehensive testing.
petersk

Post by petersk »

Nice suggestions, but I still think the way to go is to install a VPN. I already have a TOR setup for anonymous browsing, but, as you point out, each technology serves a different purpose. I like the control of having things on my own server(s).

So.... if you have any suggestions of where to find better tutorials, I'd like to see them. Google just doesn't seem up to the task on this subject. Your post seems to end without the list you supposedly were to include.
Kurt
coolmacapps

Post by coolmacapps »

I know you mentioned that you don't want to use HMA vpn, but HMA seems having most IP addresses compared with others. I have accounts with both HMA VPN and Strong VPN. I am very satisfied with the speed of them. However, I read somewhere, both HMA VPN and Strong VPN keep logs. If privacy is a big concern for you. I would mainly look for VPN providers in Europe.
luis84

Post by luis84 »

Try free2surfvpn.com

I use it with Ubuntu works fine. OVPN based.

No stupid log policy, they don't keep logs and it's safe. Cheap too. They have trial accounts.

I'd recommend em.
maylie

Post by maylie »

I highly recommend using bVPN service https://www.bvpn.online/ar/smoketunnel/ as I personally have been using it since along time with no problems and it provides you with different servers all over the world so you can find different countries UK, USA, Netherlands and Sweden,
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

This thread is too old to be revived, please post in the recent VPN thread if you want to talk about this more; thread now locked.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Networking”