Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Emegra
Level 3
Level 3

Cant connect to network printer on windows pc

Post by Emegra » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Hello everyone, I'm having a problem connecting to a network printer on a windows machine, when I click to add a printer I get this message "FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall. I tried allowing cups & samba in the firewall to no avail, I've since reset the firewall which apparently turns the firewall off (if I understand the dialogue message ok), can anyone tell me how I can get this FirewallD service running, any help would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Graeme

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Cant connect to network printer on windows pc

Post by altair4 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:59 pm

It's kind of sad really but this is a bug. And a very strange bug. FirewallD is a RedHat firewall daemon not a Debian / Ubuntu / Mint daemon so somebody didn't do a simple code review on this one. To work around this problem in a terminal type:

Code: Select all

system-config-printer
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Emegra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Emegra » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks altair
You're right typing that command brought me to the right screen with no error messages, however it's led to another problem which is the computer the printer is installed to isn't showing up in the list (MSHOME) in fact MSHOME although listed in Network Servers won't open all I get is "Unable to mount location, Failed to Retrieve Share List From Server". I.ve only just realised this problem since trying to install the printer this evening and only seem to have had this problem since upgrading to Mint 12 from Mint 11 any advice would be appreciated

Many Thanks

Graeme

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:39 am

If the network isn't showing up in system-config-printer it might be because of a missing package:

sudo apt-get install python-smbc
As for the following error: "Unable to mount location, Failed to Retrieve Share List From Server"
You might want to look at the following HowTo:

Samba Browsing Problems Checklist: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0

If the above HowTo doesn't resolve the error condition then from your Mint machine post the output of the following command:

smbtree
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Emegra
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cant connect to network printer on windows pc (Solved)

Post by Emegra » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:53 am

Hi Altair you're a star I followed the instructions on the link you posted step by step and everything's working perfectly and I've managed to install the printer no problem, I dont know what the actual problem was but it's solved now so I'm happy with that, This is not the first time you've helped me out of a sticky situation and once again I can't thank you enough

Many Thanks

Graeme

Ozzyprv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ozzyprv » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:23 pm

altair4 wrote:It's kind of sad really but this is a bug. And a very strange bug. FirewallD is a RedHat firewall daemon not a Debian / Ubuntu / Mint daemon so somebody didn't do a simple code review on this one. To work around this problem in a terminal type:

system-config-printer
THANKS a LOT!

wanabegates
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wanabegates » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Thank you!! This fixed my network printer problem as well. I thought it was odd to have a firewall problem because the firewall wasn't enabled... I may be a nube to Linux but I'm not a nube overall :roll:

Thanks for the command line! I'll take all I can get...

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Never saw that one before, but..
http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/11-1 ... 20631.html

And it looks like the cups web interface should handle it..
The cups web interface might also work fine..
http://localhost:631

OrthoSteven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OrthoSteven » Thu May 24, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks altair4!

Just hit this error on Maya, and this worked perfectly!
Maya Cinnamon 64-bit

Return to “Other networking topics”