Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tacoz
Level 3
Level 3

Where is Lisa proxy authentication?

Post by tacoz » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:07 am

In previous versions of network-properties one could set the authentication as well as 'applying it system wide'. While 'mate-network-properties' has that feature it doesn't have the 'apply system wide' option; under MATE it doesn't seem to work anyway as I have to now configure firefox and package manager explicitly using proxy-settings configured with authentication.

The new 'gnome-control-center network' allows you to set up a proxy and apply it system wide but it doesn't have an authentication option.
Where can authentication be configured?

tacoz
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Where is Lisa proxy authentication?

Post by tacoz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:06 am

OK... it took awhile to discover that gconf-editor wasn't gonna work. In G2 it did but in G3 to edit the configuration database one needs to install 'dconf-editor'.
However... even though /system/proxy has all the right fields for manual proxy intervention, they didn't work... at least for me.
So. Went back to the business proxy and determined what the auto config URL was; then used System Settings | Network; selected auto and plugged the URL in there.
Not ideal but at least I can now use a "Use system proxy settings" option when it's available (like in Firefox).

Return to “Other networking topics”