Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mph426
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] vpnc questoin

Post by mph426 »

Hi all,

I installed vpnc to connect to my work. So far I've not had much luck connecting. I was able to setup the connection in the NetworkManager Applet. However when I try to connect it comes back with "The VPN connection 'Work' failed because there were no valid VPN secrets."

I copied my config from my last distro into /etc/vpnc/ and am able to manually start it via the command line. vpnc /etc/vpnc/Work.conf

Now, the whole time I've been doing this I've had my work firewall log open and running tcpdump. When I try to use it via the applet there's no traffic whatsoever, the command line generates traffic and completes successfully.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,

Setup:
Mint 12
Gnome
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
mph426
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] vpnc questoin

Post by mph426 »

Update,

While doing some research in the Networkmanager applet's mailing list. I turned on the debugging for the vpnc client. In doing so somehow made the applet disappear. Since I'm new to the ways of Mint, I could not easily find the correct service to restart. So, when in doubt... Reboot. After the reboot the applet re-appeared. Low and behold the VPN connection started to work.

So, solved is a bit inaccurate, but for the case of this thread close enough.

MPH
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Return to “Other networking topics”