Promote by making Mint an Extra Strong Mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
thenextguy

Re: Promote by making Mint an Extra Strong Mint

Post by thenextguy »

rene wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:09 am I quite advise https://www.amazon.com/Barbarians-Bill- ... 0805057544 for an insider account of early Windows development. And no, as far as I remember NeXT does not feature. Classic Macintosh does...
Antique Mac was in re: Windows 1.x/2.x and was, IIRC, pretty much laughed out of court. A long, long way before the NeXT v. MS affair, which in any case was settled quite amicably (and profitably for NeXT) due to the close friendship between Gates and Jobs.
thenextguy

Post by thenextguy »

sgtor wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:01 am
In theory Linux itself is using OOP principles. Debian is the object, Ubuntu inherits from Deb and becomes it's own object, Mint inherits from Ubuntu. Apply that to any other distro and you have OOP principles in action, theoretically.
Not even theoretically, not even remotely. Go to the back of the class and learn what OO really is in terms of computing.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I must be getting even older than i thought i already am.

i fail to see the point or relevancy of "making mint an extra strong mint".

LM in all its flavours does exactly what the "average" home or small business user needs it to do, what seems to be suggested here is that LM be something more radical in nature...that is NOT the point of a "user friendly" O of TB distribution. A new comer reading this will, by this point, have his eyes glazing over and rolling into the backside of his head.

Average computer users do not come to LM to be "dyed in the wool" techies, they just want something that is familiar and just works with as few problems as possible and the reason many have come to LM in the first place is because of many problems in other OSs...DAMIEN
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

thenextguy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:19 am
sgtor wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:01 am
In theory Linux itself is using OOP principles. Debian is the object, Ubuntu inherits from Deb and becomes it's own object, Mint inherits from Ubuntu. Apply that to any other distro and you have OOP principles in action, theoretically.
Not even theoretically, not even remotely. Go to the back of the class and learn what OO really is in terms of computing.
I know what OOP is and I know Debian itself is not an object in the strict sense OOP. I probably didn't use the correct wording. As a loose comparison though you can't deny it does one thing that is like OOP. Ubuntu inherits from Debian and becomes a new object based on Deb.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

rene wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:29 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:34 pm Already been done! It's called "Arch".
Well, no; if there's anything that Arch is not, it's innovative. I'd steer OP to e.g. https://getsol.us/home/
Apparently, it's about the only one I haven't tried yet! :wink:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:54 pm
rene wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:29 pm Well, no; if there's anything that Arch is not, it's innovative. I'd steer OP to e.g. https://getsol.us/home/
Apparently, it's about the only one I haven't tried yet! :wink:
I have since posting that and frankly, if there is anything that at least Budgie is not, it's also innovative... :roll:
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

:lol:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”