How to promote Linux Mint worldwide

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Brahim Salem

How to promote Linux Mint worldwide

Post by Brahim Salem »

I think there are many ways of promoting Linux Mint worldwide:

1- Convince government in the third world to switch to Linux Mint and support it. Mint can provide services to these contries while getting financial support.

2- Convince desdicated users on this forum to spread the word in there contries. Mint can send DVDs, small and cheap items (like lighters, pins , cheap t-shirts....) to these people to distribute or sell in their corresponding countries. BTW I insist on cheap items because people in third world countries cannot afford 40 or 50 US Dollars for a t-shirt. Mint name should be written in bold too for people to notice it.

3- Contact universities worldwide and provide them with customized Linux Mint ISOs to serve specific purposes and in return these universities host Linux Mint ISOs or provide Mint team with more developers to develop Mint yet further.

4- Send professional and well known figures abroad to give lectures at universities to convince people to convert to Linux ( Clement, Stallman, Torvalds....)

5- Contact TV channels and convince them to dedicate shows to Linux Mint hosting famous figures like the above names or members of the Mint team to speak about Mint.

6- Establish a department for promotion and communication, like a public relations team.

7- Contact political parties and convince them to support Linux Mint.

I can help if needed in Tunisia and below are my contact details:

Brahim Salem
Address: 36 Nouvelle Cité, Chorbane 5130, Mahdia,Tunisia
Telephone: (+216) 97 95 72 72
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to promote Linux Mint worldwide

Post by dagon »

Brahim wrote:1- Convince government in the third world to switch to Linux Mint and support it. Mint can provide services to these contries while getting financial support.
I'm surprised linux hasn't caught on big time in the third world but linuxmint is a small business. In order to be able to approach governments you need a whole different scale of operation. ( Or maybe just one person with your energy level and enthusiasm... :D ) Ubuntu can do this and Redhat. My first reaction to this is that a local user group is the right way to go with Linux.
gmc85
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gmc85 »

Sometimes I fix peoples computers (mostly old ones). So I could recommend people to try Linux. And install it for them.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

dagon wrote:
Brahim wrote:1- Convince government in the third world to switch to Linux Mint and support it. Mint can provide services to these contries while getting financial support.
I'm surprised linux hasn't caught on big time in the third world but linuxmint is a small business. In order to be able to approach governments you need a whole different scale of operation. ( Or maybe just one person with your energy level and enthusiasm... :D ) Ubuntu can do this and Redhat. My first reaction to this is that a local user group is the right way to go with Linux.

I have ben promoting Linux Mint in my town for a long time and i did convince many users to convert to Mint. I do the same on many forums too indirectly (1- http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=9&t=6166 2- http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtop ... =29&t=9615 ......)

Approaching governments is a piece of cake for me. We had a revolution in Tunisia and I'm part of a political party and I can push the isue in my way but i need backup from the Mint team :D I can mobilize people on a large scale too. Just back me up :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

gmc85 wrote:Sometimes I fix peoples computers (mostly old ones). So I could recommend people to try Linux. And install it for them.
I fix people's computers all the time and I always install Linux Mint for theme or dual-boot it with Windows :D I need some green original CDs to distribute at universities and big cities :D :D Green lighters with Mint logo is great idea. You can make cheap Chinese ones :D

gmc85
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gmc85 »

Brahim wrote:
gmc85 wrote:Sometimes I fix peoples computers (mostly old ones). So I could recommend people to try Linux. And install it for them.
I fix people's computers all the time and I always install Linux Mint for theme or dual-boot it with Windows :D I need some green original CDs to distribute at universities and big cities :D :D Green lighters with Mint logo is great idea. You can make cheap Chinese ones :D

We also need 32-bit OEM version too so end users can set their own username and password.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

We already have OEM versions man :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

This is a modal Linux Mint lighter that won't cost much :D Image

dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Brahim wrote:We had a revolution...
...and all we need to do now is finish it! Moahahaaa! :twisted:
gmc85
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gmc85 »

Brahim wrote:We already have OEM versions man :D
Yes, but only 64-bit. We also need 32-bit for older computers.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Modal t-shirt Image

It should cost no more than 2 US Dollars :D
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

dagon wrote:
Brahim wrote:We had a revolution...
...and all we need to do now is finish it! Moahahaaa! :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I posted this here https://www.facebook.com/groups/720730851278414/ on my group to see what people think of them :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

People already started asking about the price :D :D :D
gmc85
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gmc85 »

Brahim wrote:Modal t-shirt Image

dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Brahim wrote:I'm part of a political party and I can push the isue in my way but i need backup from the Mint team :D I can mobilize people on a large scale too. Just back me up :D
In that case the first thing I would do is to make sure that official documents and media is available in open file formats.
I can't think of a better place to start if you're planning to invade a country with digital penguins.
Mohr

Post by Mohr »

Brahim wrote:I think there are many ways of promoting Linux Mint worldwide:

1- Convince government in the third world to switch to Linux Mint and support it. Mint can provide services to these contries while getting financial support.

(....)
I was promoting LM for some time quite intensely because I thougth they would never do mistakes like Ubuntu did with the Amazon Lens.
I was wrong. Governments and Companies will never consider Linux Mint when they see this:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=145176

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=148124

Alone the IP-Adress of a user is considered a protected data under European Law - for very good reasons.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Mohr wrote:I was wrong. Governments and Companies will never consider Linux Mint when they see this:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=145176
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=148124
Both topics were answered by clem and xenopeek. Reed them again. Don't go more off topic.
Last edited by dagon on Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit: Answer updated
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

gmc85 wrote:
Brahim wrote:Modal t-shirt Image

I actually wanna get one of these myelf just awesome! but making these would cost more money and so would increase the price!We don't want to sell clothes but twe want people to see Linux Mint logo and associate it with a product and that's Linux Mint :D
dagon wrote:
Brahim wrote:I'm part of a political party and I can push the isue in my way but i need backup from the Mint team :D I can mobilize people on a large scale too. Just back me up :D
In that case the first thing I would do is to make sure that official documents and media is available in open file formats.
I can't think of a better place to start if you're planning to invade a country with digital penguins.

what do you mean by official documents? :D :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

My idea is to make cheap things that we use on a daily basis in public places: Pens, USB flash drives, Hats...

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”