Releasing Free CD's on events

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
DJNightchild

Releasing Free CD's on events

Post by DJNightchild »

What do you think about releasing free cd's on events like pc conferences and such?
Canonical did sent one free cd per account (not sure if they still do) and have a webshop with promotional items.

I saw Linux Mint has an shop as well, but it seemed a bit scarce to me.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Releasing Free CD's on events

Post by Neil Edmond »

Now that we have this internet thingy, I didn't think anyone used CD's anymore.
A free download is just as good as a free CD on the user's end, and much better (from a cost standpoint) on the maintainer's end.
Maik

Post by Maik »

Similar idea crossed my mind, but a different angle. I was wondering about offering the local charity shop some free Mint DVDs. Blanks are cheap enough to buy, people who frequent charity shops might/might not appreciate a free OS, charity *might* make a little extra cash (or, er, maybe I should just give the cost of the blanks to the shop as a donation) .
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

Likely easier to make small flyers and put them in the window/local noticeboard than distribute cd's?

Most people will see a free cd and think "my pc already works" as they're unfamiliar with how much "better" it could be (and many don't care). Ignorance is bliss.

I'd target a local coffee shop that has young customers really instead and do a great job on the flyer (modern slick eyecatching graphics etc).

Even a "Does your dad still run XP?" type header. Something that will make them read on (because their life is largely around mobile now but there'll be a "house pc" likely running Windows).

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”