Handing out LM DVDs

Share your ideas on how we can get Linux Mint better known
Forum rules
No support questions here please
Post Reply
mzs112000
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:37 am

Handing out LM DVDs

Post by mzs112000 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:27 am

How about some of us get those 15Packs of DVD-R's, and stand outside of stores selling Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon DVD's for $3.00 each.

Then we could give people copies of Linux Mint, they like it, then they tell their friends and family and they install it,
and they tell their friends and family, and it spreads exponentially.
IF I have helped you/solved a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/v ... rId=943129
https://www.mormon.org

User avatar
Pierre
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6419
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Handing out LM DVDs

Post by Pierre » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:33 am

what about handing out flyers,
- inviting people to a Mint install feast.

with on-site demo's of how to install an alternative,
to the major monopoly ::)
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

mzs112000
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:37 am

Re: Handing out LM DVDs

Post by mzs112000 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:27 pm

Pierre wrote:what about handing out flyers,
- inviting people to a Mint install feast.

with on-site demo's of how to install an alternative,
to the major monopoly ::)
Like a feast with food and at a dinner table?
Good idea, however I dont think many people would be confortable letting several strangers into their houses and feeding them so that they can help their favorite Linux Distro.


Another good idea would be to go door to door and hand out flyers, and DVD's then they can read the flyer to find out about LM.
Or we could find someone who works at Microsoft and have him/her go into their computers and replace all WIndows update files with Linux Kernel, then next time WIndows users install updates, it will install Linux
Last edited by r00t on Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited for bad language - Try to keep posts clean
IF I have helped you/solved a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/v ... rId=943129
https://www.mormon.org

User avatar
Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:37 pm
Location: Beaverton, Oregon USA

Re: Handing out LM DVDs

Post by Tomgin5 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:17 pm

I will be giving about 10 live disc's of LM 18.1 Cinnamon 64 per week to a local street peddler that sells books (donated or scrounged) for $5 each or 2 for $6. he has been at it for a little over a year. Homeless buy that is trying to do better than begging on the street corner. I gave him 5 the first time and he did not know what they were. I then gave him a small laptop that he was able to plug into an outside plug at a local shop ad connect to the WIFI.
The DVD's are moving. He is learning how to use a computer and show others how to use Linux.

newbie serena
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: Handing out LM DVDs

Post by newbie serena » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Give those LM dvd's out for FREE.

LinuxMint is FREE.

FREE is a good selling point for Linux. Who doesnt love FREE ?

And tell the folks that you can try out the DVD without installing anything. That's comfortable to know too. One can try it out WITHOUT installing anything.

And let's give those DVD's to our parents. Because LinuxMint is straightforward and simple if we explain the bascis to our parents.

User avatar
Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:37 pm
Location: Beaverton, Oregon USA

Re: Handing out LM DVDs

Post by Tomgin5 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:29 pm

I have now done LM installs in over 180 computers in the last 2 years. I did 4 yesterday for a small forest management company. The owner was very happy with it. he asked me "How Much?" I told him it is voluntary and to look on the opening page and donate through there to Linux Mint. :D

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10068
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Handing out LM DVDs

Post by Pjotr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:42 pm

newbie serena wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 pm
Give those LM dvd's out for FREE.
Better not.... Human psychology: if it costs nothing, it's worth nothing.

Even if you ask as little as one dollar / euro for a DVD, then the buyer will attach more value to it and certainly won't just throw it away. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

DAMIEN1307
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: Handing out LM DVDs

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:00 pm

Pjotr wrote..."Human psychology: if it costs nothing, it's worth nothing"...my slant on that is with my old windows dvd disks i had...lets see, hmmm...about 3 win 95s...i think it was also 3-98s....1 millenial edition...a whole bunch of XPs...a couple of vistas...5 win-7s...2 win-8s...1 win8.1...they cost me plenty of my time over many years...but the good news is i was able to re-purpose them and created something of value to me..."satisfaction"...they made for great skeet shooting targets...they were simply beautiful when they blew up and shattered at the end of my 12 gauge double barreled shotgun...and i didnt miss a single one...time wasted on windows? total agony....satisfaction gained changing to linux and skeet shooting?...priceless...it was great therapy, i would recommend this to everyone...lol...DAMIEN

User avatar
jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7756
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 pm
Location: Wenatchee, WA USA

Re: Handing out LM DVDs

Post by jimallyn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:25 pm

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:00 pm
i was able to re-purpose them and created something of value to me...
A few decades ago, a friend had one entire room covered in AOL CDs.
Image

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Lysander666
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:06 am

Re: Handing out LM DVDs

Post by Lysander666 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:57 am

mzs112000 wrote:
Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:27 am
How about some of us get those 15Packs of DVD-R's, and stand outside of stores selling Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon DVD's for $3.00 each.

Then we could give people copies of Linux Mint, they like it, then they tell their friends and family and they install it,
and they tell their friends and family, and it spreads exponentially.
People won't care. Everyone has an OS that works for them and, as far as they're concerned, that's all they need to know.

Linux is still only for enthusiasts. People trust big corporations, they feel safe with them. If told that an OS is made by a group of hobbyists and professionals and given away free, they'll discount it immediately.

Years ago I used to work for a record label and we would give free promo CDs to people outside gigs. A lot of people didn't want them because they assumed that if you're giving them something free, there's a catch.
Debian 9.3 Stretch / Slackware 14.2

mzs112000
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:37 am

Re: Handing out LM DVDs

Post by mzs112000 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Lysander666 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:57 am
mzs112000 wrote:
Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:27 am
How about some of us get those 15Packs of DVD-R's, and stand outside of stores selling Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon DVD's for $3.00 each.

Then we could give people copies of Linux Mint, they like it, then they tell their friends and family and they install it,
and they tell their friends and family, and it spreads exponentially.
People won't care. Everyone has an OS that works for them and, as far as they're concerned, that's all they need to know.

Linux is still only for enthusiasts. People trust big corporations, they feel safe with them. If told that an OS is made by a group of hobbyists and professionals and given away free, they'll discount it immediately.

Years ago I used to work for a record label and we would give free promo CDs to people outside gigs. A lot of people didn't want them because they assumed that if you're giving them something free, there's a catch.
Well, one would think people would be less trusting of big corporations...
The most recent Facebook privacy stuff immediately comes to mind. Remember the iCloud hacks? Confirmed spying in Windows 10... NSA backdoors into Windows, macOS and even most popular apps.
IF I have helped you/solved a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/v ... rId=943129
https://www.mormon.org

User avatar
Pierre
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6419
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Handing out LM DVDs

Post by Pierre » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 pm

there is an increasing number of people who now have a healthy distrust of those Big Corporations.
:shock:
it's not just the stuff in the news ATM, but more about a slow & steady distrust of those Corporations.
:)

in that I've struck a number of folks who are tired of what M$ is doing with "their computer"
- spend time in explaining that never really owned "their computer", in the first place.
this often shocks most people, as they do actually think that do own "their computer" . . .
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Post Reply

Return to “Promotion”