Handing out LM DVDs

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
mzs112000

Handing out LM DVDs

Post by mzs112000 »

How about some of us get those 15Packs of DVD-R's, and stand outside of stores selling Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon DVD's for $3.00 each.

Then we could give people copies of Linux Mint, they like it, then they tell their friends and family and they install it,
and they tell their friends and family, and it spreads exponentially.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Handing out LM DVDs

Post by Pierre »

what about handing out flyers,
- inviting people to a Mint install feast.

with on-site demo's of how to install an alternative,
to the major monopoly ::)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
mzs112000

Post by mzs112000 »

Pierre wrote:what about handing out flyers,
- inviting people to a Mint install feast.

with on-site demo's of how to install an alternative,
to the major monopoly ::)
Like a feast with food and at a dinner table?
Good idea, however I dont think many people would be confortable letting several strangers into their houses and feeding them so that they can help their favorite Linux Distro.

Another good idea would be to go door to door and hand out flyers, and DVD's then they can read the flyer to find out about LM.
Or we could find someone who works at Microsoft and have him/her go into their computers and replace all WIndows update files with Linux Kernel, then next time WIndows users install updates, it will install Linux
Last edited by mzs112000 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited for bad language - Try to keep posts clean
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I will be giving about 10 live disc's of LM 18.1 Cinnamon 64 per week to a local street peddler that sells books (donated or scrounged) for $5 each or 2 for $6. he has been at it for a little over a year. Homeless buy that is trying to do better than begging on the street corner. I gave him 5 the first time and he did not know what they were. I then gave him a small laptop that he was able to plug into an outside plug at a local shop ad connect to the WIFI.
The DVD's are moving. He is learning how to use a computer and show others how to use Linux.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Give those LM dvd's out for FREE.

LinuxMint is FREE.

FREE is a good selling point for Linux. Who doesnt love FREE ?

And tell the folks that you can try out the DVD without installing anything. That's comfortable to know too. One can try it out WITHOUT installing anything.

And let's give those DVD's to our parents. Because LinuxMint is straightforward and simple if we explain the bascis to our parents.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have now done LM installs in over 180 computers in the last 2 years. I did 4 yesterday for a small forest management company. The owner was very happy with it. he asked me "How Much?" I told him it is voluntary and to look on the opening page and donate through there to Linux Mint. :D
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

newbie serena wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 pm Give those LM dvd's out for FREE.
Better not.... Human psychology: if it costs nothing, it's worth nothing.

Even if you ask as little as one dollar / euro for a DVD, then the buyer will attach more value to it and certainly won't just throw it away. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Pjotr wrote..."Human psychology: if it costs nothing, it's worth nothing"...my slant on that is with my old windows dvd disks i had...lets see, hmmm...about 3 win 95s...i think it was also 3-98s....1 millenial edition...a whole bunch of XPs...a couple of vistas...5 win-7s...2 win-8s...1 win8.1...they cost me plenty of my time over many years...but the good news is i was able to re-purpose them and created something of value to me..."satisfaction"...they made for great skeet shooting targets...they were simply beautiful when they blew up and shattered at the end of my 12 gauge double barreled shotgun...and i didnt miss a single one...time wasted on windows? total agony....satisfaction gained changing to linux and skeet shooting?...priceless...it was great therapy, i would recommend this to everyone...lol...DAMIEN
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:00 pm i was able to re-purpose them and created something of value to me...
A few decades ago, a friend had one entire room covered in AOL CDs.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Lysander666

Post by Lysander666 »

mzs112000 wrote: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:27 am How about some of us get those 15Packs of DVD-R's, and stand outside of stores selling Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon DVD's for $3.00 each.

Then we could give people copies of Linux Mint, they like it, then they tell their friends and family and they install it,
People won't care. Everyone has an OS that works for them and, as far as they're concerned, that's all they need to know.

Linux is still only for enthusiasts. People trust big corporations, they feel safe with them. If told that an OS is made by a group of hobbyists and professionals and given away free, they'll discount it immediately.

Years ago I used to work for a record label and we would give free promo CDs to people outside gigs. A lot of people didn't want them because they assumed that if you're giving them something free, there's a catch.
mzs112000

Post by mzs112000 »

Lysander666 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:57 am
mzs112000 wrote: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:27 am How about some of us get those 15Packs of DVD-R's, and stand outside of stores selling Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon DVD's for $3.00 each.

People won't care. Everyone has an OS that works for them and, as far as they're concerned, that's all they need to know.

Linux is still only for enthusiasts. People trust big corporations, they feel safe with them. If told that an OS is made by a group of hobbyists and professionals and given away free, they'll discount it immediately.

Years ago I used to work for a record label and we would give free promo CDs to people outside gigs. A lot of people didn't want them because they assumed that if you're giving them something free, there's a catch.
Well, one would think people would be less trusting of big corporations...
The most recent Facebook privacy stuff immediately comes to mind. Remember the iCloud hacks? Confirmed spying in Windows 10... NSA backdoors into Windows, macOS and even most popular apps.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there is an increasing number of people who now have a healthy distrust of those Big Corporations.
:shock:
it's not just the stuff in the news ATM, but more about a slow & steady distrust of those Corporations.
:)

in that I've struck a number of folks who are tired of what M$ is doing with "their computer"
- spend time in explaining that never really owned "their computer", in the first place.
this often shocks most people, as they do actually think that do own "their computer" . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scjet45 »

jimallyn wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:25 pm
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:00 pm i was able to re-purpose them and created something of value to me...
A few decades ago, a friend had one entire room covered in AOL CDs.
yep.

Times have not really changed (around here):
In (N.A.), U.S./Canada, (of which I blame our nafta), EVERY BigBox store forcibly sells Desktop, Laptops, ..., with "ONLY" MS Windows, pre-installed on them. ?!
We, the "Consumer", are already paying an immoral premium, of approx $200, more than we should for every single PC/Laptop/... that we purchase.?

Standing outside of any one these stores trying to "$ell" someone even more, (be it a Mint DVD, ...), is simply asking for a bloody nose,
no offence intended.
And yes, not surprisingly, it's always been that bad around here for decades now.
The "System76's", ..., and their ilk, do help, but it's far from enough.

If anything, what we should be doing is "picketing" ALL these retailer's, distributor's, ... to allow ALL potential purchaser's to have a "Free" Linux choice in the matter, and therefore NOT have to pay more money for this or that hardware, just 'cause MS has been forcibly pre-installed in it, period. !
(but the above will require some very well co-ordinated political/national legs,-so to speak, along with a LOT of staying power). ;)

...BUT, sadly for now, until MS finally leaves the (pay us or else?)-OS business, then nothing will ever change around here, -never ever.!
:)

Conclusion:
- The (select) huge Smart Phone/Tablet/... MultiNational Corporations, (and we all know who they are), have been making $Trillions, as we speak, literally using Linux as well, by successfully replacing every single Desktop, Laptop,..., with their proprietary hardware + pay for streaming, cloud's, proprietary OS's, and Apps, ...and, tragically, it's actually working. ?! :(
- So, like ya'll, ...aka, I'm not against paying for good Apps that actually care, and DO what they're supposed to do, but,
I've ALWAYS been against any (high-level-interfaceing-hardware) that does not allow a, (humanely usable),"Free"-OS/Firmware/... to run on it. !

BadNewsBears.
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6
rado84

Post by rado84 »

mzs112000 wrote: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:27 am selling Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon DVD's for $3.00 each.
No one in their right mind would pay whatever sum for something that the developers offer completely free for download, especially me. You can make copies and hand them over absolutely free of charge and let these people decide whether they wanna donate to the devs or not. I am going to make a donation as soon as my employee puts some money in my bank account, because my love for Mint keeps growing exponentially but I'd never pay even $0.01 in the street for something I can download in 3 minutes (yes, it's 3 minutes, because I download with 12.3MB/sec from Bulgarian servers). Not to mention that by a digital donation I can be sure the money will go to the devs, while this payment of $3.00 in the street isn't clear where it goes and what part of it goes to the devs. :roll:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

rado84 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:04 am No one in their right mind would pay whatever sum for something that the developers offer completely free for download, especially me. ... :roll:
You aren't everybody.

https://linuxmint.com/store.php
https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/mint.html
https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/linuxmint
https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Linux-DVD-Ope ... n_10483369
https://www.amazon.com/Linux-Mint-DVD-B ... B007I7HEIO

:roll:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

rado84 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:04 am No one in their right mind would pay whatever sum for something that the developers offer completely free for download
We get lots of posts from newcomers who want to try Mint but can't figure out how to download, verify and burn the .iso. It's pretty rude to say that none of those people are in their right mind just because they need a little help to get started.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Update on the DVD giveaway I was doing a little over a year ago. The homeless guy I gave over 50 live discs too and a laptop, was hired as an IT by a local firm. apparently he learned LM well and how to do web pages. He is now making more than I did before I was retired. :D

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”