Tell people about free Linux upgrades :)

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
mzs112000

Tell people about free Linux upgrades :)

Post by mzs112000 »

Windows 10 will be a free "upgrade" for any Windows 7/8/8.1 users.

I think we can get more people to use Linux Mint by telling them, that LM is not just free for Windows 7/8/8.1 users, it's free for everyone no matter what OS you use now.
Then explain the features, and advantages you get from using Linux instead of Windows, no viruses/spyware, no license fees, no NSA spying, runs better on the same hardware, and has all of the features they are used to.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Tell people about free Linux upgrades :)

Post by jimallyn »

I spend a fair amount of time promoting Linux and Open Source software to others. I have converted a few friends, but it seems like most people are just stubbornly sticking with Microsoft and other proprietary software. I am currently working on a project to introduce people at my church to Open Source software for Windows, and maybe after they've tried that, some of them will be interested in Linux.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
mzs112000

Post by mzs112000 »

jimallyn wrote:I spend a fair amount of time promoting Linux and Open Source software to others. I have converted a few friends, but it seems like most people are just stubbornly sticking with Microsoft and other proprietary software. I am currently working on a project to introduce people at my church to Open Source software for Windows, and maybe after they've tried that, some of them will be interested in Linux.
Yes some people are stubborn.
I have an idea, get an old laptop, put Linux with compiz on it and sit down at a coffee shop. Make the compiz effects VERY noticable, when people see the compiz effects the will ask about them and how to get them, point them to the Linux Mint website, and then point them to a tutorial about setting up compiz
Last edited by karlchen on Fri May 29, 2015 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Split thread after this post
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<Moderator on
Split off a few posts, starting with xinu's post, http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9#p1022189, because it turned into a support request or should I say rant about a failed Cinnamon update, cf. the split thread here: Last Cinnamon update (level 3) went seriously wrong
</Moderator off
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”