Support for the Public - Perception's Reality

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
bob_bc

Support for the Public - Perception's Reality

Post by bob_bc »

Working on some ideas to broaden Mint's appeal to the general public. Feel the perception (real or imaginary)
that there's no structured support for them is the main impediment for GNU/Linux's expansion.

Some thoughts:
1. We need to focus on one distro/desktop/configuration that serves the needs of the 80 percent of the public that just want to use
a computer for normal people tasks, photo editing, internet, office, etc.
2. My best bet for #1 is currently LTS Mint with Mate desktop.
3. We need to have set up available support for the public where they can e-mail or call somebody with a question.
(reason for sticking with one distro/desktop)
4. Have done this by setting up a website with encouragement and info with contact name/phone#.
5. Have set up a blog for non-technical comfort articles for users.
6. Solicited those in the know to submit original articles for the public to better understand their systems. (need more submissions).

Bob Atkinson
Google: Tucson Linux
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Support for the Public - Perception's Reality

Post by xenopeek »

How is this all going to be funded? Current funding provides income for some of the developers, but there is no funding to keep on a support staff large enough (fluent in multiple languages) that can be available 24x7. This is going to take serious money.

Or did I misread, and did you want volunteers to hand out their personal phone numbers to Internet strangers to call them at all hours of the day in who knows what language. I'm sure you didn't want to put anybody through that. You'd have to pay me a boatload of money for that; it sounds like work :)
bob_bc

Post by bob_bc »

Xeno, that's reflex you're steering with, not reality. Telling us why it won't work's counterproductive dude.
1. Geeks charges $125 to $200 to remove virus' from Glass Machines.
2. Who said you can't have an Enterprise Support Service? (end of money issues).
3. You only take care of your local geographic area, those who speak your language.
4. Migrate by training the Windows Service Companies to Linux to enhance their
profitability, stream of revenue.

Way you're doing it now's not working. Things need to change for the public to reap the benefits of GNU/Linux.

IMHO

Bob

Google: Tucson Linux Support
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

We tried paid support a long time ago. To make a long story short there is no difference between that and support on the forum. There are the problems xenopeek pointed out as well.
bob_bc

Post by bob_bc »

exploder wrote:We tried paid support a long time ago. To make a long story short there is no difference between that and support on the forum. There are the problems xenopeek pointed out as well.
Have done 300 installs face-to-face. There's a BIG difference dude. Also, most Geeks i've met wouldn't know the management side of marketing. Virtual Machines, Terminals, GeekSpeak, should all be banned from Consumer forums in my opinion,
(an opinion of experience, not conjecture).
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Working on some ideas to broaden Mint's appeal to the general public.
Start by getting it out in the shops on machines lthe way that MS does, that would be the biggest hurdle. People that use linux generally have a desire to fiddle with things and tinker/customise, the 'general public' really couldn't care less, that's the truth.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”