Where to buy bulk Mint DVDs, or templates to make own

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Olav

Where to buy bulk Mint DVDs, or templates to make own

Post by Olav »

Hi.

I want to promote Mint in some way, and I am looking for a place to purchase a bulk of 100-500 DVDs with Mint to hand out.

However, I can't find any web page for promotional stuff. Artwork for discs, and template for a paper sleeve with images where I can translate the text to Norwegian would be nice (although not really necessary).

So I was curious. How much effort would it be, and what would the gain be if it was possible to purchase bulks of DVDs somewhat like those in Ubuntu store.

How does the printing and cover for Discs purchased from OSdiscs look like?

And is there a place I can find artwork for what I am looking for?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Where to buy bulk Mint DVDs, or templates to make own

Post by Pierre »

unless you made your own disks - then you would be looking at a serious amount of money.

OSdisc does bulk orders, but even at that discount, you're still looking at a wad of cash.

with the right printer - you can make a very professional looking product,
- which is probably the way to go - since you propose to give them away.

OSdisc does have a nicely finished product, if you did go with them.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Olav

Post by Olav »

Indeed, although I did find a page offering 5000 for 19000NOK (with disc print and case with print), although that would way too expensive unless a group of people joined.

Canonical disks aren't that expensive to buy in bulks of 20.

OSdisc, as far as I could see, weren't very promotional. The cover should give clear expectations of what it is.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Olav wrote:Hi.

I want to promote Mint in some way, and I am looking for a place to purchase a bulk of 100-500 DVDs with Mint to hand out.

However, I can't find any web page for promotional stuff. Artwork for discs, and template for a paper sleeve with images where I can translate the text to Norwegian would be nice (although not really necessary).

So I was curious. How much effort would it be, and what would the gain be if it was possible to purchase bulks of DVDs somewhat like those in Ubuntu store.

How does the printing and cover for Discs purchased from OSdiscs look like?

And is there a place I can find artwork for what I am looking for?
Hi Olav and everyone else,

I'm sure there are a lot of Linux Mint users like you and me that really want to promote Linux Mint everywhere.

The artwork is everywhere if you "Google it", including on the Linux Mint sites, but I do not know if you need permission to use them, trademarks, copyrights, legal issues, etc...

Obviously, the cost and time needed to prepare the DVD's is not cheap whether you "job it out" to a company, (19000 Norwegian Krone = 2,339 US Dollar, 19000 NOK = 2,339 USD)

Or, by using a less expensive method to create your own by buying the DVD equipment yourself and creating and printing the DVD's yourself - see numbered items below. Then you have the decision of which Linux Mint editions to put on the DVD's, or to create multi-boot DVD's, because not everyone's computers can run Cinnamon, and Mate, KDE (my favorite), and Xfce (also 32 bit or 64 bit) and would require more than 1 DVD (4.7gb) to fit them all.

The least expensive way to get the "word out" on Linux Mint, is what the Linux Mint people are doing now, word of mouth, internet search, and let the prospective user download and install it themselves. They do not seem to advertise much and they should because their Linux Mint operating systems are world class and free. I think they should actively seek out more computer manufacturers too, maybe a TV commercial, or more, would increase the user base and thus advertising dollars. It may not be as effective, but It would be cheaper to prepare advertising "flyers" and or "business cards" with the needed Linux Mint information and hand those out. I have also been putting a link in my email signature mentioning Linux Mint and where to download it.

You could also buy "lots" of 16gb USB flash drives "relatively" inexpensively and put all current versions of Linux Mint on those. Of course, to put the Linux Mint logo on them increases their prices a little. And some older computers cannot even boot to USB drives easily.

Custom USB
https://www.customusb.com/
Premium USB
http://www.premiumusb.com/catalog/bulk- ... ives_8.htm

Creating DVD's or DVD duplication

1. You could use a "Lightscribe" DVD burner and inexpensive Lightscribe DVD's to create a very nice monochrome lablelled DVD. But, to make 100-500 of them would take a long time.

2. You could buy an inkjet printer that can print beautiful color DVD's (appx: $150us) on reasonably priced "printable" DVD's. But, to make 100-500 of them would take a long time.

3. You could buy a DVD duplicator a stand alone device that can create 10 DVD's at once for $500 us (by ILY), but you still need to print labels on them. There are others that can duplicate 5 at a time for half that cost. Then there are more commercial versions Automated CD/DVD Duplicators which can print color labels directly on the discs too, see 3 b.

3 a). This series of ILY Express duplicators can work independently without need for PC or your attention. Just simply insert your master disc and put new discs into target drives with
easily functional touch to duplicate CDs/DVDs in a matter of minutes.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827236162

3 b.) Automated CD/DVD Duplicators
Epson Discproducer™ Series Epson Discproducer PP-100II only $2,695
It is designed to burn and print up to 100 customized CDs or DVDs on demand. And, with one set of high-capacity ink cartridges, you can create over 1,000 discs.
http://www.discmakers.com/duplicators/a ... oducer.asp

Primera 4100 Series New! Bravo 4102 XRP Disc Publisher Now only $3,225
The Primera Bravo 4102 XRP has the same rugged, heavy-duty, rack-mountable chassis and cabinet as the Bravo XR.. It automatically burns and prints up to 100 discs at a time.
http://www.discmakers.com/duplicators/a ... 102xrp.asp
====================================================================================================================================================

So, that's some of what I have been thinking regarding promoting Linux Mint ....
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

one guy that is known in these parts,
does semi-professional video editing.

he also has a purpose built PC tower that can copy Five DvDs at a time,
- the slow part is printing on them in his printer. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Olav

Post by Olav »

Thanks for the replies.

In addition to the cost of purchasing a DVD production kit, I would still need to buy discs, ink and covers, and considering the price for 5000 discs, the price per disc get relatively low. So if I could find a few people that would like to join in here in Oslo it would be great.

However, considering artwork, aren't there any official artwork Mint that could be downloaded from Mint somewhere?

There are two other options that would be preferable:

If Mint made a deal with someone that we could purchase discs in huge bulks.

Secondly, and probably the best. I believe here in Oslo, that there is a nerdy hobby centre where people can get together and do nerdy stuff together. And play with technology as 3D-printers, create cosplay, etc. There might be a chance they have a DVD production printer that can be borrowed.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Today I bought 2 bundles of blank DVD +R for a little less than 11 cents each at a local outlet. I have 3 DVD burners hooked up to my desktop burning live disks 3 at a time. Keeping the quad core i5 busy. It is taking about 10 minutes each. Aside from time I will have 200 done in a day. Printing labels on a laser printer in color with a brief instruction on sticky label.
Postage costs much more than the DVD's.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Hi if you want to buy linux mint discs go to https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/l ... =linuxmint and buy the disc you want :D.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have given out over 500 free DVD live disks so far. Average cost so far is 11 cents including color label,
skylinestar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skylinestar »

A case sticker/badge will be dope too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Linux-mint ... 1662143153
:D
Intel Pentium E5800, Biostar G31M+ v6.1, Kingston 2x2GB DDR2-800, Galaxy GeForce GT440, Crucial M4-CT128 SSD, D-Link DFE-520TX (Rhine-III rev 8b), RT5370 WiFi, Corsair VS550, Aigo Blade 2, Dell E190S, Linux Mint 19 Mate
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Olav wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:04 am I want to promote Mint in some way, and I am looking for a place to purchase a bulk of 100-500 DVDs with Mint to hand out.
Many modern laptops/netbooks do not come with DVD-burners/readers = can only use Live LM USB-sticks. Something to consider in your good promotion.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”