Linux in stores anyone??

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Linux in stores anyone??

Post by xdicey »

Dream big; wish large; miracles still happen.
Know what would be totally, absolutely awesome in Canada, not to mention in my lovely city T.?
To be able to walk into Future shop, Best Buy, even Staples and purchase a computer with Linux Mint already installed or order online from one of those computer manufacturers. Then a newbie like me wouldn't have to go crazy trying to understand how to disable secure boot, how to create partitions etc. in order to install Linux.

Would it be a good idea to convince computer manufacturers to build computers for Linux Mint, strictly adhering to the Linux protocols of course?

The Linux word is out though 'cause at least one college in my area is offering week-end courses on Linux -of course I signed up.
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
ofb

Re: Linux in stores anyone??

Post by ofb »

http://www.zdnet.com/article/dell-offer ... on-laptop/

Dell already had a kick at this can in 2007. Didn't exactly fly off the shelves. But really they did it to irritate Microsoft, to express just how pissed they were about Vista.

MS giving away Win10 for free has completely broken the traditional back-scratching agreement with manufacturers, so we /might/ see more Linux pre-installed. Then again, arguably we might not because 10 is now cost-less to include. And unlike Linux, it comes with a degree of professional customer support.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Compulab is a close partner of Linux Mint and the manufacturer of the MintBox 2 and MintBox Mini. Powerful computers, completely silent, very small footprint, with lovely minty green colors :wink: Available in Canada through Amazon: http://www.fit-pc.com/web/purchasing/order-mintbox/. The MintBox 2 is in stock; the MintBox Mini is in stock from next week.

ThinkPenguin is another partner of Linux Mint that sell computers with Linux Mint. Visit the Linux Mint store: http://www.linuxmint.com/store.php
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

You also have System76 in the U.S, I've heard them and I'm in the UK, they have some great looking machines with equally impressive spec's; Shame we don't have them over here but one day . . . . . . .

https://system76.com/laptops
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I don't think it is ever going to happen, as there is no money for the stores in running Linux OS services
--most people will be able to find all the help they need online: forums/blogs, distro guides and tutorials
  • By the way
    --the same situation exists for winOS, most users (should they look) would find plenty of INFO via MS, forums, guides, blogs and tutorials
http://linuxconfig.org/
  • --example of one site that helps a Linux OS user
The only issue for windows users is their view that they need constant anti-virus, anti-malware and lots of updates applied constantly in order to feel safe in using their computers
--other devices (smatphones, tablets with other OS's IOS, Android, Windows 10X, ) have security issues as well.

Also i think online shopping is the place that a Linux OS can succeed
--that's a matter of marketing and persuasion of the masses that still respond to marketing
  • The problem for a Linux distribution, is money
    --as they give the product away, how can they charge for it, unless they can market/persuade a business that it is necessary for best results !
There used to be a company that offered Linux OS maintenance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linuxcare
--since gone

IBM still offers Linux OS support under their ZOS system
--and you can get a cheaper OS running

RedHat has persuaded USA companies that having a RedHat service is of value to them

For a single distribution it would be an uphill battle..
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

Well, aren't I glad I posted. I knew about Sys76, even communicated with them but shipping to CA was just too much. I did not know about Compulab/Amazon. Thanks for that and all the other info, links and suggestions.

You guys on this forum are just great with giving your time and experience this way.

It's just awesome.
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

Linux is too complex, the average user wants something simple, they don't care about 'how' there system works they just want it to work.

The real question is:

Do we really want millions of noob users moving over to linux? Is it honestly better as a small community of experienced users?
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

With the need to know and the patience to learn, one can accomplish pretty much anything, uh?
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

xdicey wrote:With the need to know and the patience to learn, one can accomplish pretty much anything, uh?
Ehh pretty much. With some things you will need to find "work arounds" or entirely new ways of doing things. (Like scripting your own solutions to problems.)
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Some moths ago I bought a Linux laptop in a mexican online store (Linio). It's a Mexican brand machine (Abix), core i5, 4GB ram, with a very good keyboard and screen (14"), only the battery is poor (3 hours). Cheap price: 5200 pesos (around 300 us $). The laptop come with Ubuntu installed, I replaced it with Linux Mint Xfce. :)
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

Chiefahol wrote:
xdicey wrote:With the need to know and the patience to learn, one can accomplish pretty much anything, uh?
Ehh pretty much. With some things you will need to find "work arounds" or entirely new ways of doing things. (Like scripting your own solutions to problems.)
Each one teach the other. I love this forum. You guys are awesome!
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Chiefahol wrote:Is it honestly better as a small community of experienced users?
As someone who attempted to get online help with Linux forums when I first tried installing Linux (Mandrake and Debian from the Knoppix disk) in 2003, I'd have to say no.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Chiefahol wrote:Linux is too complex, the average user wants something simple, they don't care about 'how' there system works they just want it to work.
Lol. Does the average person who walks into ChinaMart (WalMart) to buy their computer really care whether it has Microsoft Windows or some flavor of linux? They mostly care about whether or not they can post every depressingly pathetic facet of their lives to Facebook with it.
Chiefahol wrote:The real question is:

Do we really want millions of noob users moving over to linux? Is it honestly better as a small community of experienced users?
Now there's a scary thought. I'm still a bit angry with AOL.

Code: Select all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Lol. Does the average person who walks into ChinaMart (WalMart) to buy their computer really care whether it has Microsoft Windows or some flavor of linux?
Nope.
They mostly care about whether or not they can post every depressingly pathetic facet of their lives to Facebook with it.
Yeah. :mrgreen:
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

That's an interesting question, actually. Millions of noob users won't negatively impact me personally, but I guess there are certain headaches that come with popularity of an desktop OS. More focus from malware and virus developers is one possibility (although the other side of the argument is that Linux is already massive in the cloud).

Bottom line, I think we need all those users. They'll bring more commercial software to the platform chasing their $ and best of all, the more users, the more incentive for hardware vendors to provide Linux driver support, which has always be the Achilles' heel of the OS (despite the titanic efforts of the contributors who create open source drivers- not taking anything away from their achievement).
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

. . . and anyway it will also prove that the experienced Linux users are always several furlongs ahead of the malware and virus developers.
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

Personally, I don't think computers should come pre-installed with Linux. I'm a lot more concerned about manufacturers removing the option to disable Secure Boot (something I believe should be opt-in at best).

Linux is about being in control of your own machine and I believe that consciously making the choice to use Linux and installing the OS for yourself is an essential part of developing that control. If people are given Linux as soon as they turn on the machine, it's no better than Windows because they won't be making a choice and using initiative to put that choice into action.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have found LM at FreeGeek in Portland. In laptops, desktops and CD's. I carry a Live CD for 17.3 Cinnimon 64 and a flash drive for 32 bit in my glove box to give/loan to people I meet that are wanting to get rid of their Win10 or older OS running 32 bit systems. About 1/2 of those I let use it, try it switch to Linux. 6 in the last month.*= :idea: 2 more converts this week.
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

Instigator wrote:Will any mint boxes run modern high graphic games?
Yes.
Linux can also run ancient games too :)
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”