I made a video

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Jim643

I made a video

Post by Jim643 »

It's aimed at my friends 'n co-workers who humor me by listening to stories about the OpenSource community and Linux Mint in particular of late.

Intro includes: "... Deliberately brief and non-tech. Remember, this is Linux not Unix. The difference is significant and a great story should you decide to look into it's creation. This is free to download and use all you wish. ..."

https://youtu.be/5OG3V9rxvIc
sanity rising

Re: I made a video

Post by sanity rising »

Well done, I like how you explained it simple and basic. I'm going to have a few of my friends look at your video (they are tired of Windows and sometimes rant about how it has slowed down and how they want to fix it with a hammer) to see if it will persuade them to give Linux a try. Maybe seeing a few features in a video will help explain it better than I can, when I talk about Linux and it's advantages I’m usually met with a blank vacant look. :lol:
GreyGeek

Post by GreyGeek »

A good effort!

However, I found the sound track weak and noisy. Even at full volume it was difficult to understand. A video editor will give you the ability to amplify the sound track, reduce the noise level, and set the DC offset to zero. Using a mic and adjusting the volume during recording is another tactic.
Jim643

Post by Jim643 »

GreyGeek wrote:A good effort!

However, I found the sound track weak and noisy. Even at full volume it was difficult to understand. A video editor will give you the ability to amplify the sound track, reduce the noise level, and set the DC offset to zero. Using a mic and adjusting the volume during recording is another tactic.
Appreciate the feedback. I used OpenShot Video Editor for this and will explore for more controls over audio. I know I can strip the audio and tinker with it by itself but am still in learning mode here. "DC offset to zero" ?
Jim643

Post by Jim643 »

sanity rising wrote:Well done, I like how you explained it simple and basic. I'm going to have a few of my friends look at your video (they are tired of Windows and sometimes rant about how it has slowed down and how they want to fix it with a hammer) to see if it will persuade them to give Linux a try. Maybe seeing a few features in a video will help explain it better than I can, when I talk about Linux and it's advantages I’m usually met with a blank vacant look. :lol:
... the people with blank stare in my world were the target for this :) The concept of OpenSource is completely lost on most of them but their dis-like for Windows is near universal now.
GreyGeek

Post by GreyGeek »

Jim643 wrote:

Appreciate the feedback. I used OpenShot Video Editor for this and will explore for more controls over audio. I know I can strip the audio and tinker with it by itself but am still in learning mode here. "DC offset to zero" ?
Since you can strip the audio then Audacity has the effects you need. Under the "Effects" menu option are "noise removal" and "Normalize". On the Normalize tab is the radiobutton to set the DC offset to zero.
Jim643

Post by Jim643 »

GreyGeek wrote:
Jim643 wrote:

Since you can strip the audio then Audacity has the effects you need. Under the "Effects" menu option are "noise removal" and "Normalize". On the Normalize tab is the radiobutton to set the DC offset to zero.
Your advice is spot on. Thanks https://youtu.be/ZvMUZ2w2_b8

Between what I learned here and better shielding of mic. audio shouldn't be a problem next time.

FWIW: After several weeks of digging I can attest that presentations aimed at the non-tech, non-coder mentality are lacking. It's not ready for mainstream yet but this distro will fit a wider audience than many I've tinkerd with.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”