[solved]website abandoned?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
DarrenG
Level 2
Level 2

[solved]website abandoned?

Post by DarrenG »

A visitor to the linux mint website on April 6 2016 will notice that there is no monthly news posted for March, and no blog entries since March 8. What conclusion should they draw from this? Has the website and blog been abandoned? Have the owners been locked out by their own security? :lol:
Last edited by DarrenG on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.”
LinuxJim

Re: website abandoned?

Post by LinuxJim »

DarrenG wrote:A visitor to the linux mint website on April 6 2016 will notice that there is no monthly news posted for March, and no blog entries since March 8. What conclusion should they draw from this? Has the website and blog been abandoned? Have the owners been locked out by their own security? :lol:
Since it is "monthly news", and barely a month has passed since the last "monthly news", I would only conclude that the owner of the site may be a little busy at the moment. Hardly a reason to declare it 'abandoned'. Are you one who watches the sun rise to make sure it arrives on time? :)
konjad

Post by konjad »

DarrenG wrote:A visitor to the linux mint website on April 6 2016 will notice that there is no monthly news posted for March, and no blog entries since March 8. What conclusion should they draw from this? Has the website and blog been abandoned? Have the owners been locked out by their own security? :lol:
Yeah, the website is abandoned and Linux Mint is dead.
:lol:
DarrenG
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DarrenG »

konjad wrote:Yeah, the website is abandoned and Linux Mint is dead.
No, its alive and well as far as I am concerned. Updates are certainly still coming through. But the topic is promotion, and I'm saying put yourself in the shoes of a first time visitor to the website. They see bad news and then silence for a month.
“People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.”
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

DarrenG wrote:What conclusion should they draw from this?
They don't need to draw any conclusions, you seem to have supplied plenty.

Move On, LM did.
bwendt89

Post by bwendt89 »

I think the idea the OP is trying to get across is more visual activity on the blog/homepage would be positive from a promotional perspective.
While a month isn't long at all, some people may view it as slow production or support by LM perhaps?

I can see the benefit of more activity in that way, but what sort of updates would you suggest DarrenG?
I'm sure LM post updates that they see fit for the homepage, so what else could they add?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I am astonished, that the monthly report is missing since a week. Since I read the Mint blog Clem reported every month, in which direction he is working, what we can expect. Additional the list of sponsors.

Without drawing any conclusion out of the missing blog I wonder anyway, why we don't see anything. Hopefully (no conclusion, but a wish) Clem is healthy.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Considering the amount of snipers that crawled out of the woodwork to slag Clem off after the site breach/hack, I'd not be surprised if Clem had quit Linux Mint. I know! I know! - not likely; but there's nothing like feeling unappreciated to change how you feel about a project.

OK, it wasn't anyone here doing the sniping, but it was just about everywhere else on the Internet. It can only really go two ways with that amount of pressure (read "hate"); you fight, or you decide there's more important things in life.

Anyway... just thinking out loud really
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

And it could be just a simple delay as there must have been tons and tons of work Clem and Team had to do on the fly and then get caught up with the normal stuff. A month's delay of blog updates -IMO- shouldn't cast doubts on LM's status.

As far as I understood, the LM project is a job after a job for the very dedicated Team so, I'll just cut them some slack. The blooming blog will get updated when it gets updated.

My ha'penny and a half :).
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I am with xdicey on this.
I am also hopeful clem's report will outline the full assessment of the breach, and will also include a statement of donations received in the final week of February--
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I can see how a person might get the wrong impression, but I suspect there will be updates posted eventually.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

konjad wrote: Yeah, the website is abandoned and Linux Mint is dead.
:lol:
Didn't you hear? Billy boy Gates has been out trying to whack penguin people for taking away his paying sheeple :shock:
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

xdicey wrote:As far as I understood, the LM project is a job after a job for the very dedicated Team
Not quite correct. For Clem it is a full time job, see here.
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

Cosmo. wrote: Not quite correct. For Clem it is a full time job, see here.
Well, Cosmo, thanks for the correction. I don't know how much has changed in the 2.5 years since but it just makes my point even more. The dude and his team should get a break :).

An excerpt about Clem's passion for the project:
I still do mostly everything. But that's the way I like it. I wake up in the morning and I have enough work for the next 10 years.

Linux Mint started as a hobby, as something I was doing on my spare time. It grew and it's now something I do full time, every day and with no spare time left for anything else.

I get a lot of help from many people and from the community and I also have two other people working full time with me. I'm not interested in making Linux Mint grow fast though. Seeking investments, funds, renting an office, giving myself a job title and going to work every day as the boss of 20 newly hired engineers isn't what I have in mind. I love what I do, I work with passion, from home, with no commercial ties to anyone, and now and then I get in a position where I can secure yet another salary and make someone else join the adventure.
I'd say any doubts about LM and the blog/website's lifespan were/are unwarranted. Fancy if each day has 48 instead of only 24 hrs? What we'd all get done more quickly. . .
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
calthax

Post by calthax »

xdicey wrote:Fancy if each day has 48 instead of only 24 hrs? What we'd all get done more quickly. . .
Then there would only be 182.5 days on a regular year and 183 days on a leap year
Therefore the work in a 48 hour day must be more than twice the amount of work done in a 24 hour day to get Linux Mint done more quickly
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

DarrenG wrote:A visitor to the linux mint website on April 6 2016 will notice that there is no monthly news posted for March, and no blog entries since March 8.
End of period without any new posts on the Linux Mint Blog website: Monthly News – March 2016
So we can close this thread as solved: The Blog has not been abandoned.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
DarrenG
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DarrenG »

bwendt89 wrote:I think the idea the OP is trying to get across is more visual activity on the blog/homepage would be positive from a promotional perspective.
Thank you. Yes, that was my idea but I tried to do so in a humourous way, forgetting that humour is so easily misunderstood in the written word. I'm really sorry for any offence unintentionally caused.
bwendt89 wrote:While a month isn't long at all, some people may view it as slow production or support by LM perhaps?

I can see the benefit of more activity in that way, but what sort of updates would you suggest DarrenG?
I'm sure LM post updates that they see fit for the homepage, so what else could they add?
Well for example in the latest monthly news there are 4 main items: Improvements in the Update Manager, Better touchpad support in Cinnamon and MATE, New Cinnamon sound module, and finally sponsors and donations.

It seems to me that the list of donations is a simple copy and paste job not requiring a great deal of creativity. Why not bang that out on the first working day of the month to the blog? The others could be be put out on the blog as smaller postings when convenient, perhaps biweekly? And then the monthly news on the main page could be a summary of the months activity on the blog, to be posted when convenient. Less work would be involved since it would be mostly copy and past of old news. But should Mint hit the headlines for some reason first time visitors would see regular activity.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Monthly activity is regular activity. I hope most people still have attention spans long enough that they would see a blog that gets updated on a monthly basis as active...
Plus, surely people understand that the blog is just a side thing, and the OS itself is what it's all about? Personally I never even looked at the blog before installing Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

M0em wrote:Monthly activity is regular activity. I hope most people still have attention spans long enough that they would see a blog that gets updated on a monthly basis as active...
Plus, surely people understand that the blog is just a side thing, and the OS itself is what it's all about? Personally I never even looked at the blog before installing Mint.
There is a blog?? :lol:
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

karlchen wrote:So we can close this thread as solved: The Blog has not been abandoned.
Short and complete statement. :!:

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”