Bad economy proves to be an unlikely ally

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Bad economy proves to be an unlikely ally

Post by capivara »

The latest three people who I installed Linux Mint for had one thing in common: an outdated and crippled version of Windows, but no money to buy a new PC. One earlier install was because of ransomware (and no backup of any kind).

I would have loved to say that they wanted Linux because it is faster, safer or better, but that's not the case. In general people just don't care. Change is scary. Now, basically running Linux because they had no alternative, they start to notice its advantages and share their experiences with others.

We're talking just a handful of systems here, it won't make any impact on the statistics, but at least Linux Mint made some people very happy.
All my computers are in Mint condition.
MintBean

Re: Bad economy proves to be an unlikely ally

Post by MintBean »

Every little helps- and that's more people than I've managed to convert. A sum total of zero despite best efforts. People always seem interested, but that doesn't go beyond idle short term curiosity, and that's never enough for them to bother making a change.
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

I had 2 friends recently with old laptops who i upgraded to Mint.

The speed you get on old hardware is really appealing, people love being able to click stuff and not having to wait.
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara »

Chiefahol wrote:I had 2 friends recently with old laptops who i upgraded to Mint.

The speed you get on old hardware is really appealing, people love being able to click stuff and not having to wait.
Yes, but it is still hard to 'sell' as an argument. There's a well defined comfort zone in the world of Windows users, anything out of the ordinary is rejected. I'm curious what this bad economy situation will lead to. There's another potential 'customer', but his motherboard is not my cup of tea. Old, 32-bit processor.
All my computers are in Mint condition.
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

capivara wrote:
Chiefahol wrote:I had 2 friends recently with old laptops who i upgraded to Mint.

Yes, but it is still hard to 'sell' as an argument. There's a well defined comfort zone in the world of Windows users, anything out of the ordinary is rejected. I'm curious what this bad economy situation will lead to. There's another potential 'customer', but his motherboard is not my cup of tea. Old, 32-bit processor.
i was gonna write something but the damn forum deleted it twice.... woot!
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

It's really a question of where they are in the economy. If they're one of the 94 million not in the workforce, then no matter how comfortable they are with Windows, an open source operating system and software is mighty appealing. Especially if it will make their older system seem like new. The great part is a no-cost upgrade. True, they'll have to do a little tweaking to get things like iTunes to work, but learning is not such a bad thing. :)
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

capivara wrote:In general people just don't care. Change is scary.
A very common hurdle. But I'm more inclined to think that the inaccessibility of alternatives proved to be the factor.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I must be getting old but I think change is fun. Some People think changing wives is fun, I don't. I have been changing and resurrecting about 1 laptop a week. I buy a scraptop (laptop ) that was recycled and hard drive removed for $10-$30 and drop small SSD's that I get on sale for $25-$50 and load them up with Linux. Then I sometimes give them away up at the VA Hospital (6 so far). Sometimes I give them to kids at the local school through teachers that I have converted from Apple or Windows. They give them to the kids that cannot afford them.
Today I picked up a Toshiba Satellite 305 for $10, dropped in a laptop drive that was only 75gig and it is running fine on LM 17.3 64 Cinnamon.
Only 2 gig of RAM but it seems flawless.
I printed up some LM stickers that I am putting on in place of window advertising.
JChristensen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JChristensen »

I'm a huge fan of this concept, whether it's due to economics or anything else. I've only placed a single machine so far, but I have a line on a couple others and a few people interested. I've mailed Live USB sticks to a couple friends. My wife is fairly non-technical; I put LM18 Cinnamon on her laptop a couple months ago and she's doing just fine. Mind you, the biggest advantage in her mind is that I cuss at it less but she is able to do what she needs just as easily as with Windows.
desperados
Level 4
Level 4

Post by desperados »

capivara wrote:The latest three people who I installed Linux Mint for had one thing in common: an outdated and crippled version of Windows, but no money to buy a new PC. One earlier install was because of ransomware (and no backup of any kind).
I'm a system administrator, and I use Windows because many software requires it (XenCenter, RDP, CAD, etc.), but I'd like to move definitely to Linux because:
- every Windows version changes everything, I don't have time to learn every time how to do the same things
- even if I have a Windows license, the iso needed to install that version is everytime a problem: oem, rok, vlk, etc.
- even if I have a Windows license, Windows Update is always a problem: it doesn't work, or it hangs pc, or it requires many time to update, etc.
- drivers: it's a CAOS: manufactures drivers are different from Microsoft drivers, and many times they are in conflict
- Windows 10: automatic updates (no ask, my willing doesn't count....), new menu where you don't find anything (you have to use Cortana), no new useful features (where is a network manager? where is the support for more than 256 file names lenght?), many new useless apps, blocked bios, problems with boot, etc. etc.
the only thing that I really think that is useful in Windows is system restore and shadow copies
pdhunter1987

Post by pdhunter1987 »

Good win for Linux.
I do agree but alot of people just think of Linux as a free alternative to windows, or poor man's windows.

Even if I had all the money in the world I wouldn't use apple or windows, but Linux.
Cost is a practical reason to use Linux though.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

My sister (a retired history professor) bought a brand new Lenovo recently with Windows 10.
She asked me to put Linux on it because she was just fed up with all the problems she was having with Windows. Mind you, this a person who only wants to point and click on a computer and really does not want to be bothered with computer "stuff."

I first let test drive my Linux Mint - I wanted her to see the difference in MS office and Libre Office. I also explained the she would have to check for updates that they would not be automatic but they were painless. I reassured her that her browser would work the same and I could put the icons on the desktop and/or in the taskbar as she wanted. I also made it clear that although there a few ways to put her Quicken on her laptop they were not optimum solutions and that there are financial programs native to Linux. I was surprised that she was receptive - I put GnuCash on her system and in about a week she had it functioning. I probably had the most difacult task in that I had to figure out how to delete a lot of her test files (un-installing GnuCash does not do it) and clean out the GnuCash history (dconf-editor).

Granted we are talking about a very bright person, albeit not a "computer person" who was motivated to get away from Windows so it was "too easy" getting her on linux.
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

...but I'd like to move definitely to Linux because:
- every Windows version changes everything, I don't have time to learn every time how to do the same things...
My company is in the process of moving from MS Office 2007 to Office 2013. I had written an automated spreadsheet my department uses for logging a specific type of incoming work. (The previous log was paper.) Some in our department were upgraded and some were not. When I got to use one of the upgraded systems, I tested the spreadsheet log. Remember, we're talking Microsoft to Microsoft here. Yep, you guessed it. This came to mind just after I tested the spreadsheet log in Excel 2013.

To make the log work in Excel 2007 the way I wanted, I did have to declare a DLL function -- to a Microsoft system DLL. But for some reason, Excel 2013 does not display maximized windows in the way previous Excel versions did. Tell me again how much better Microsoft upgrades are? So now I'm going to have to figure out how to fix a working automated Excel spreadsheet because of a Microsoft Excel "upgrade."

Just stick a fork in me -- I'm done.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I dropped Libreoffice in the computers at church to take care of the spreadsheets and editing for church business. Then I put in Firefox for the browser. They still are stuck on Windex but they are very happy with the changes so far. Am working with the kids in church in the 7-16 year old range to get them converted to LM Cinnamon. They are going whole hog and winning over their parents and teachers. Of course giving them refurbed laptops with LM on them helps. now their parents are giving me their old windex laptops and I am cleaning them up and returning them with LM Cinnnamon. This has included several i5 and i7 quad cores.
JChristensen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JChristensen »

Tomgin5 wrote:Of course giving them refurbed laptops with LM on them helps.
Great success story. I've been looking into refurbed machines recently, I'd be interested in some details on your hardware. Prices seem decent, but not a whole lot less than a new lower-end laptop. I have to think Linux would run great on some of those i3-class machines.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

On the hardware. I refurbish primarily Scraptops (Laptops junked) they need power supplies or wallwarts, Hard drives and a little TLC.
I Prefer units with a 64 bit buss.
The laptops MUST have SATA connectors for the HDD or incoming SSD.
The displays need to be unbroken although I have replaced a couple from scrapped parts units. The connectors to the keyboards, drives, and displays must be in good shape. Sometimes it will take a little diddling to make the WIFI work.
I remove the heatsink and clean it up and put in new thermal compound and check out the fan to make sure it performs according to the published specs for speed and current draw.
The DVD burners are working for record and playback both data video and audio.
Microphones, if present and webcams also must work or be labled as non functioning. The MacBooks (4 so far) I refurbish the cameras do not function as I have not figured out how to turn them on in Linux.
The smallest system I have updated is an Asus PC 1001 PX. It is runniing 2GB RAM and a 320 GB SSD. With an N450 atom processor running LM 18.1 Cinnamon 64. It is a bit slow but much faster than it did on XP Pro. Battery lasts for about 5 hours.
I have done 3-i7 CPU laptops with 8 GIG of RAM off the same Live flash drive as the Asus. These were dedicated Windex machines when I started and less than 30 days old, so I never opened them up.
I have done 4-i5 installs as well the i3, i5, and i7 installs all needed to be done with the EUFI workarounds.
The OLD MacBooks did not have any HDD installed when I received them 3 were 2.1 circa 2006 or 2007. One was a 3.1 circa 2008. All were missing screws in the chassis so I needed to disassemble everything and find extra screws the right size and put them back together. By the time I was done I had to put in abouut 12 hours into each one. The DVD players were the most difficult because everything had to be just right or the DVD would jam inside as there is no tray, merely a very narrow slot mostly covered with a brushy fabric. The worst thing with the MacBook is there is no way for the air to get in and out except the DVD slot. They get warm. The Apple wallwarts are also about twice as expensive as anyone elses.
I am doing this for a hobby and so far I have not been reimbursed anything for the units. I have differed any payments to send the money to LM as a donation.
JChristensen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JChristensen »

Wow, that's more work than I was hoping for, but good for you; I do appreciate that you're spreading the word! The refurbs I've been looking at are online (Newegg, Tiger Direct, etc.); I would hope they would need little if any work.
Not sure I'm aware of the UEFI workarounds. I've only done two UEFI installs, one worked perfectly and the other had issues.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Good J. The scraptops I get ahold of are usually in the $8 to $15 range although sometimes I go higher. They all post even with no hard drive. Most of them have been turned in for recycling because they were no longer functional or too obsolete to work with updated software or the expences of functioning with newer MS office suites. The HDD and the wallwarts are the biggest expense. Online (ebay) is usually cheaper than local. Occationally when I go to Amazon, MS or MS look alikes try to hack My LM systems. The off button works great when they start demanding payment to let me use my computer and they are supposedly holding my credit cards hostage. When I turn on the computer again FF had captured all the addresses of the offenders.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Tomgin5 wrote:Occationally when I go to Amazon, MS or MS look alikes try to hack My LM systems. The off button works great when they start demanding payment to let me use my computer and they are supposedly holding my credit cards hostage. When I turn on the computer again FF had captured all the addresses of the offenders.
This is the first time I've seen anyone report an issue like this in Linux. Surely just terminating Firefox should be sufficient? I would hope that this sort of thing is actually quite harmless on a Linux system.

I meant to post a reply ages ago but couldn't remember which thread :oops:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Thanks BG405. I passed the IP addresses that were captured to my daughter (Federal employee) She helps track these offenders. She also uses LM in her own computer for this reason. I really did not expect the actual event in Linux but I have had it in the past in Windex machines. I was regularly hacked in Windex by the Chinese, Koreans, India, Etc... Even with alleged anti piracy software that I suspected was actual worms.

This computer HP Compaq 6510, LM 18.1 Cinnamon64, 2 GIG RAM, 60 GIG SSD :mrgreen:

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”