Flier to promote Linux

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Flier to promote Linux

Post by silvatech »

I work in IT for onsite residential and business customers. This year I am finding alot of interest to switch to something from Windows. I have been able to convert some of my clients. Others are just afraid, so I got thinking about it and what I need and sure other ITs need is a flyer that non technical people can read and see how easy Linux is to use. I find for most my clients wants I set them up on Linux they just use it with no problems. Infact I think I am costing myself service calls :P.

Anyways, I have a designer that does really nice work. I am planning to pay her to design up a flyer and I then plan to release the flyer to anyone in the community that wants to use it for business or personal. I would love to see a flier help ITs sell people on converting from windows 10 to Linux.

What I need is ideas on wording and possible images for the flyer.

I will later post up some catch phrases and wording as soon as I iron it out a little more.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Flier to promote Linux

Post by jimallyn »

I don't know if I have anything to add to your flyer, but: I started on Linux in 2002, and shortly after that one of my younger brothers switched to Linux. He loves it. Late last year, my older brother asked me if I could put Linux on his laptop, and I did. So far, he has contacted me with Linux questions exactly ZERO times. And his wife thanked me because now she doesn't have to listen to him yelling at the computer anymore. Then early this year one of my sisters asked me to put Linux on her computer, which I did. Seems like she might have had ONE question for me about Linux. She likes Linux better because it is faster and doesn't freeze like Windows did for her. I have installed Linux on computers for several friends, too, and they just use it and don't ask me questions. And I see on these forums all the time somebody saying that Win10 was the last straw for them, they switched to Linux, and they wish they had done so years ago. My experience has been that when people try Linux, they like it.

I will be watching this thread for updates. I go to the local Senior Center now and then, and they have a computer club which is, of course, all Windows users. I am planning to do a presentation to the club on Open Sources software and possibly Linux. If I learn anything from that, I'll let you know. And if you get your flyer posted here before I get around to doing that presentation, I'll probably shamelessly steal ideas from it for my presentation.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

jimallyn wrote: I will be watching this thread for updates. I go to the local Senior Center now and then, and they have a computer club which is, of course, all Windows users. I am planning to do a presentation to the club on Open Sources software and possibly Linux. If I learn anything from that, I'll let you know. And if you get your flyer posted here before I get around to doing that presentation, I'll probably shamelessly steal ideas from it for my presentation.
Please use the flyer if I get it done in time.
I make my living fixing people computer problems. Windows 10 has been the final straw for alot of people. People are afraid of change and why its never usually been an option to use linux. This year has been first year people are asking for something different. So its a win win to me I get to convert people over and I get paid changing em over and helping them out. Example I recently built a lady in her 80s a new computer with linux mint 17.3 . In last 6 months she has called me because someone some how set the printer offline. The other time was she did not know how to load up the ink on the new printer.
A windows 10 computer I built a month ago. (Still telling her to try linux :P and why I came up with the flyer idea.) Not even a month in and windows 10 in an update corrupted its own boot partition :P.

So yeah, goal is to help others with the flyer that enjoy setting up Linux for customers or friends some tools of information.

Here is some information I picked up out of a dozen articles off the internet. Quite a few interesting facts. Way to many for a flyer, but might be usefull for your presentation.

With Linux, if something isn't to your liking, you're free to change it. You can simplify the Graphic user interface or start menu to your liking.

Unlike Windows, and OSX, Linux is not created and supported by just one company. It is supported by Intel, Redhat, Linaro, Samsung, IBM, SUSE, Texas Instruments, Google, Canonical, Oracle, AMD, and Over 4,000 developers contributed to improving Linux over the last 15 years. The latest improvements from these developers, from trendy to critical, are delivered via security updates, driver updates, application updates, software upgrades, and operating system upgrades.

Security advantage

Despite the occasional vulnerability coming to light, Linux is regarded as much more secure than Windows. As a Unix-like operating system, the platform was designed from the ground up with different privilege levels that make it much harder for malware to get unrestricted access to a system, even if it manages to slip past the defences.
Microsoft disregard for it users
With Windows 10, Microsoft has already shown a casual disregard for its users by using various tactics to get the platform installed on as many systems as possible, regardless of whether users want it or not.
For businesses, the alarm bells should have started ringing when Microsoft updated Windows 10 Pro, the edition most likely to be used by small to midsize firms, and removed the ability for admins to turn off access to the Windows Store. This signalled the fact that customers are not in control of how Windows behaves on their network, unless they fork out for an enterprise licence.

7. It's Secure
Windows is the most targeted operating system for viruses and other malware, thanks primarily to the fact that it's still the one that's most widely used. No operating system is perfectly secure, of course, but in the Linux world malware is a rarity for many reasons, and there are extra-secure distributions available as well if that's a priority for you.
5. It's Reliable
There's a reason Linux has such a stronghold in the server world--many, actually, but one of the biggest is its reliability. When you're on Linux, you won't even remember all those hours of productivity lost to crashes and downtime.
6. It's Fast
Linux tends to require much less in the way of hardware resources than other operating systems do, and there are even distributions designed with a small footprint as a primary goal. The result is that it's generally really fast--even on older hardware. Will you miss the hardware-upgrade treadmill? Didn't think so.
Linux keeps your privacy in mind
With Linux, you won’t have to worry about your computer spying on you at an operating system level.
Linux has security in mind. List of a few companies & everyday devices that use Linux.
Google, Twitter, Facebook, Amazon, IBM, McDonalds, US Submarines, NASA, Android phones, New York Stock exchange, Road Traffic or Air Traffic controling software, Nuclear Projects, Bullet Trains in Japan, more then 70% of the Internet, Tesla vehicles.

No more Forced updates.
Linux allows you to choose when you wish to update your computer. Unlike Windows you can work on your computer while it updates. Allow better productivity in the workplace or home.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

"When we rolled into Baghdad, we did it using open source. It may come as a surprise to many of you, but the U.S. Army is 'the' single largest install base for Red Hat Linux. I'm their largest customer.” - Brigadier General Nick Justice
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”