Using Craigslist to Promote Mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
BitTraveler

Using Craigslist to Promote Mint

Post by BitTraveler »

I came across an ad like this a few months ago, it seems like a good idea to get Mint on more computers:

Source:
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/sop/5855942075.html

"...I'm selling the setup disc for Linux Mint 18 (32 bit). This is a full operating system which works a lot like Microsoft Windows. Linux distributions (operating systems) are much less prone to virus problems. That's one of the benefits of installing Linux on laptop and desktop computers.

"...The purpose of Linux Mint is to produce a modern, elegant and comfortable operating system which is both powerful and easy to use.

Linux Mint is the most popular desktop Linux distribution and the 3rd most widely used home operating system behind Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac OS.

Some of the reasons for the success of Linux Mint are:

It works out of the box, with full multimedia support and is extremely easy to use.

It's community-driven. Users are encouraged to send feedback to the project so that their ideas can be used to improve Linux Mint.

Based on Debian and Ubuntu, it provides about 30,000 packages and one of the best software managers.

It's safe and reliable. Thanks to a conservative approach to software updates, a unique Update Manager and the robustness of its Linux architecture, Linux Mint requires very little maintenance (no regressions, no antivirus, no anti-spyware...etc)..."

Linux Mint System requirements:

512MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
9GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
Graphics card capable of 800x600 resolution (1024x768 recommended).
DVD drive or USB port.

I'm selling the setup disc for $15.00.

For an additional $20.00 I'll install the operating system on your computer.

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions you may have. You can also reach me on Skype, my ID on there is: johnu1978

Thank you very much. ..."
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Using Craigslist to Promote Mint

Post by jimallyn »

I wonder if he's getting many responses? I go to the local Senior Center's computer club twice a month, and I have volunteered to do a presentation on Linux and Open Source software. The first time I made the offer, I just asked if anybody was interested in Linux and Open Source software. No interest whatsoever. I waited a few weeks and tried again, only this time I asked if anybody would be interested in an operating system that doesn't crash and doesn't get viruses, comes with most of the applications most people need, and is free to boot. That got their attention, so I will probably be doing that presentation in a month or so.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have been going to a local coffee shop at least weekly and at least twice a month have one of the other customers ask for me to install LM. It typically runs about an hour with the updates. It is always good for a coffee and a refill. So far I have converted 6 Apple systems to Linux ans 20 Windex systems to at least dual boot. Some of them later dropped the Windows. I have not been able to convert chrome laptops. The OS did not to look at the bios or live DVD's or Live USB ports while booting.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

BitTraveler wrote:I came across an ad like this a few months ago, it seems like a good idea to get Mint on more computers:
I'll ship you a disc if you stay off Craigslist.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I was riding my bike thru a bohemian section of town yesterday. I found a couple of sidewalk vendors for used books. Essentially they were homeless and had been doing this for over a year. I had a dozen DVD's with "Live" installs for LM 18.1 Cinnamon64. With each DVD and case I has a 1 page instruction generic instruction sheet on how to install it and follow the instructions for wipe and install, or dual boot. I gave the vendors 5 discs each and left a card on how to contact me for more discs or help for their customers.
Having big back pockets in the bike outfit helps.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”