Mint EDU edition

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
techboy317

Mint EDU edition

Post by techboy317 »

Hey!
Idea: We make a Linux Mint EDU edition and pitch to schools.
Sorta like Edubuntu, but for old systems (my college uses 2003 computers)
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint EDU edition

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hello,
Mint team already supports many versions , like KDE LMDE, Cinnamon etc. I do not think they have the bandwidth to undertake and support another Mint flavour.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

All of the edubuntu packages are available in Synaptic Package Manager. So, if you have Mint, and install the wanted edubuntu packages . . voila ! EduMint :lol:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

As for Edubuntu for older computers, you can install earlier versions of Edubuntu or older versions of Mint while adding Edubuntu packages from Synaptic
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

Get a bunch of USB drives, build them as your favorite Mint DE, give the computers and USB drives to the students, then let the students do the installs. Give them an install script in checklist format and turn them loose. Anyone can handle a one page checklist. This way, they learn how to install the very operating system they will be using. Win-win!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

TooMuchTime wrote:Get a bunch of USB drives, build them as your favorite Mint DE, give the computers and USB drives to the students, then let the students do the installs. Give them an install script in checklist format and turn them loose. Anyone can handle a one page checklist. This way, they learn how to install the very operating system they will be using. Win-win!
non win/non win
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

To the OP- you are welcome to respin Linux Mint to produce an education version, just as the Edubuntu team did with Ubuntu. Of course if you want to use the Mint name or logo, you will need to seek Clem's approval.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Computers from 2003? I would forget that idea. Current Linux distros are too much to handle for a 2003 computer in my opinion.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have given away 30 computers in 2016, and 2 in 2017, to young students from 8 to 15 years old. All have been LM17.3 and LM 18 Cinnamon 64 OS. I have also given away 25 flash drive Live" of the same vintage and a dozen DVD's. The kids love them. Surprisingly I have not seen any of them log on here. I do know they are lurking though. I will probably do at least as many this year.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

EduMint? I prefer to call it "Mintor".
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

On the computers that I have been giving away, about half have had the edu app installed by parents.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”