Sarah wallpapers and gpl 3.0+ re using?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Sarah wallpapers and gpl 3.0+ re using?

Post by eu2 »

The Sarah wallpapers are great/amazing.

Out of respect though I'd like to ask a question if I may?

There is a multi platform jigsaw puzzle game (via steam) I've been playing and as the mint wallpapers are amazing I'd like to via the steam workshops use the mint (Sarah) wallpapers as jigsaw puzzles.

Legally I think can do this, but I haven't out of respect, so I'm looking for some advice regarding wordage etc.

Thoughts?

The game although not perfect is quite good (I'm not trying to promote it), it's http://store.steampowered.com/app/379610/
richyrich

Re: Sarah wallpapers and gpl 3.0+ re using?

Post by richyrich »

If you go into the containing folder, you will see a "Credits" file. Have you looked at that yet ?
(open with your text editor)
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

You are responsible for ensuring any derivative works are released under the GPL license and include a license text (is there even a way to do that with these puzzles, have you checked? How are they shared? If through Steam, are they OK with GPL licensed materials being shared on their system?) and are made available for others to modify. In any case, whether it is released under the GPL or not, you don't have the right to distribute images including the Mint logo for unrelated purposes without permission.

Isn't it just easier to find public domain images?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I looked in /usr/share/wallpapers in both Mint 17.3 Cinnamon and Mint 18 Cinnamon. If you double click an image to open it, then in the image viewer click Image, Properties, Metadata, In 17.3, each image has copyright data. In 18, there is no copyright date. So, I would guess that those in 18 are public domain, and if you want to use something from 17, you should probably contact the listed copyright owner. I imagine there is somebody at mint that knows all the details, but I'm not sure who that would be.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Back in my painting days if I seen a pose I liked I use to email the person and see if it was alright if I used the pose or part of it for a painting I had in mind, then I would get it in writing (emailed) that it was approved by the person for the painting even I sold it and total royalty free, just cover my butt.

Without it in writing you stand the risk of it coming back to bite you in the butt later, especially if your making money off of it which could possibly land you in court and being sued, unless there is a release written about it to be royalty free for use and especially for commercial use.
You have to be careful when making games and using other folks images and even their codes to some degree, but images yup get permission first, they might not say it anywhere if it is free or not but if they see it and they created it they can come to you for that for not asking permission.

Being an artist as my trade all my life it was a constant battle artist fought because if it was good other folks used it to make money off of it and then the battle begins because they never had the right to do so.

One artist created some watercolor paintings went a restaurant outside his town seen his paintings on the menu investigated it found the printer who took an image of his paintings used them on the menus and got sued over it, photographers has the same rights as does musicians for the music or sound effects in games.

words of advise from someone who has been in this business for over 30 years get it in writing to cover your butt.

By the way anything I do for linux is totally open source and can be used for anything royalty free and make any changes you want (sometimes I even add the gimp files) :lol:
Unless I get into making games for linux one day then we'll see what happens with that, that's a whole new ball of wax.

Just thought I would throw that in in case anyone wanted to use my stuff or make changes to them and they do which is fine by me 8)

Sam
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

richyrich wrote:If you go into the containing folder, you will see a "Credits" file. Have you looked at that yet ?
(open with your text editor)

Didn't see the credit file at first as its folder is symlinked to from the pics in /usr/share/wallpapers

I kind of assumed they would have been under the gpl since mint are distributing them.
Many thanks to the following artists for sending their artwork to Linux Mint and/or for distributing it under Creative Commons.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prefix | Artist | Link | License
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
andyfitz | Andy Fitzsimon | https://www.flickr.com/photos/andyfitz | CC-BY-SA
bartosova | Helena Bartosova | http://www.hbartosova.com | CC-BY-SA
cantrell | David Cantrell | https://www.burdell.org | CC-BY-SA 3.0
dking | | | CC-BY 3.0
hill | Jeremy Hill | | CC-BY-SA 3.0
jankaluza | Jan Kaluza | | All rights reserved
konstantin | Konstantin Leonov | http://kuroihikari.deviantart.com | https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
linuxmint | Linux Mint | http://www.linuxmint.com | CC-BY-SA 3.0
reichenbach | Rene Reichenbach | | Free Art
sezgin | Sezgin Mendil | | All rights reserved
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following pictures were modified and are published under the same license as their original:
- All pictures were compressed to reduce the size of the package.

Note:
Please be aware that the licensing terms described in this file only apply to the photographs present in this directory, not to the photographs currently distributed by the authors themselves (which can change over time).
For instance, if a photograph is licensed CC BY 2.0 in this directory but "All rights reserved" on Flickr, you can use the terms of CC BY 2.0 and redistribute the copy of the file present in this directory but you would need the authorization of the artist to do the same with the pictures found on Flickr.
Similarly, you cannot distribute files present in this directory under "All rights reserved", but if you find them on Flickr under CC Licensing, you can use that licensing to distribute the file hosted by Flickr.
I'll give that a miss then although some would be ok to use, kinda thought making them into puzzles and putting them on a workshop would have been nice with a mention that they were the mint wallpapers.

I'm glad I asked the question.

Thanks to all for their comments/advice.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”